Acer 24" Wide LCD Monitor fro $368.52 Shipped

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
Seems like a really hot deal to me, but I'm not an LCD geru. Is there something I'm missing?

tbogstad

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2003
finally worth upgradeing from my Dual 21" monitors have had for about 7 years.

Maybe i will go triple view and put the 24" LCD between the 2 monitors, now that woud be sweet.

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
been using a 17" lcd forever, so this will be a nice upgrade. i've been waiting on one with hdcp in case I want to hook my PS3 up to it, thanks for posting.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
uugh...put COSTCO in title, as some of us do not have these stores close by..

thanks

jC

nice find

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Sunrise089
Seems like a really hot deal to me, but I'm not an LCD geru. Is there something I'm missing?

The AL2416WBSD is a cheap (to make) TN panel. TN panels has less accurate colors and poorer viewing angles than other panel types. Learn more in The LCD Thread.

Although TN panels do have some of the best response times.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
ugh so tempting.. not gonna have the money till thursday though.

might be a stupid question, but this single 24 would be better then 2 17 inch screens even for programming right?

And i wonder how this compares to the soyo? Acer is at least a brand ive heard of..

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I knew these would drop in price now if only they could have LED backlights because the color would be improved as well. The blacks are still really bad.

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Insomniator
ugh so tempting.. not gonna have the money till thursday though.

might be a stupid question, but this single 24 would be better then 2 17 inch screens even for programming right?

And i wonder how this compares to the soyo? Acer is at least a brand ive heard of..

It all depends on your use. If you like to work on a very large single window, than 24" is definitely better. If you like to have 2 windows open (IDE and a browser), than dual monitor is the way to go. Strictly for programming, I prefer multiple monitors over one large one.

I haven't used the Soyo one, but from what I've seen of the display model at Officemax, it's much uglier (huge bezel) than the Acer. At least Acer has the 3 year warranty and un-tarnished reputation that is Soyo's.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
TN panels are also used by probably 80% of the population and the poor color/viewing angles are really a very minor complaint. the TN panels of the last two years are pretty damn incredible, and nobody should be worried about giving them a chance.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: zig3695
TN panels are also used by probably 80% of the population and the poor color/viewing angles are really a very minor complaint. the TN panels of the last two years are pretty damn incredible, and nobody should be worried about giving them a chance.

larger TN panels can be a real pain though.

because they are so large that from where you are sitting the viewing andgles make all the edges look terrible compared to the center.

Almost ALL laptop displays are TN, and i think in that case they are fine since they are so small that generally the entire display is in your field of vision.

that said if you are going to spend $350 on a monitor, just pony up another $100 and get a pmva one. it is worth it, and its not like youwill be buying a new monitor every year (or well i suppose some of you probably will be..)

The0ne

Jan 3, 2006
Actually I think TN panels 22" and above don't look well at all. You can see the grainy pixels, poor colors and annoying viewing angles. Of course, there are some mfg that have done things, which I don't know of, to fix or hide some of these issues. For example I have 2 Acer 22" and 2 Viewsonic 22" and the Acer are pretty pad compared with the Viewsonic. The color is not as rich or accurate, the side pixels are grainy and the viewing angle is not as nice. Both are TN panels I believe.

Just from experience I say take a good hard look and know what you're looking for or comparing to before making your purchase on a TN panel LCD. Good luck!

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
Originally posted by: hans007
Originally posted by: zig3695

larger TN panels can be a real pain though.

because they are so large that from where you are sitting the viewing andgles make all the edges look terrible compared to the center.

Almost ALL laptop displays are TN, and i think in that case they are fine since they are so small that generally the entire display is in your field of vision.

that said if you are going to spend $350 on a monitor, just pony up another $100 and get a pmva one. it is worth it, and its not like youwill be buying a new monitor every year (or well i suppose some of you probably will be..)

im sorry but that is pretty terribly mistaken. just because its a large tn panel doesnt mean it has bad viewing angles. case in point- my 22" samsung 225bw looks absolutely fantastic, with hardly any noticeable color distortion along the corners when viewing up close (none when sitting back for tv watching) while compared to my dell 1501 15" laptop widescreen (1 year newer btw) it is pretty much horrible. only the middle third of the screen looks good no matter what angle you set the screen.

it all comes down to the actual make and model of the screen, not all TN panels are bad (far from it) and size doesnt even seem to have an effect, even though it seems like it would.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
In my experience, TN panels look worse than non-TN panels, period. The Soyo is an M-PVA panel and it looks amazing. The color is fabulous, and there are basically no viewing-angle restrictions. The only reason I'd get the more epxensive Acer would be if I didn't care about the increased quality of non-TN panels and if I deperately needed the HDCP.