Accuracy of coretemp versus mobo bios temp

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
I have a 4670k and coretemp is giving the cores readings from 31c-34c during low usage, while when i enter bios i am getting about 50c for the cpu temp. Which is more accurate, the coretemp reading or my motherboards reading?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have a 4670k and coretemp is giving the cores readings from 31c-34c during low usage, while when i enter bios i am getting about 50c for the cpu temp. Which is more accurate, the coretemp reading or my motherboards reading?

Your sig has everything but the mobo make and model. Whatever it is, this might cost you $20 or nothing, depending on how you want to do it.

Either from the manufacturer or small independent vendors who fill the niche, order a BIOS upgrade PLCC chip (if the old one not soldered and can be extracted with a chip-puller and replaced). Or investigate a BIOS upgrade by download from the maker's web-site and flash to your system.

But start with the answer to the first question. If I can't give you a sure answer, someone else surely can. . .

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
Your sig has everything but the mobo make and model. Whatever it is, this might cost you $20 or nothing, depending on how you want to do it.

Either from the manufacturer or small independent vendors who fill the niche, order a BIOS upgrade PLCC chip (if the old one not soldered and can be extracted with a chip-puller and replaced). Or investigate a BIOS upgrade by download from the maker's web-site and flash to your system.

But start with the answer to the first question. If I can't give you a sure answer, someone else surely can. . .

my mobo is the MSI z87-G41 Will a bios update improve temps? Im thinking that even if the BIOS temps are accurate, I could bring them down with a good HSF. Im still using the stock HSF unfortunately.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The stock HSF is fine. As said, idle in windows and idle in BIOS is not the same thing. BIOS usually puts a moderate load on it.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

When you are in the bios menu, the cpu is not in power saving mode and its running at the max speed 3.4ghz so it will be hotter compared to windows when its throttled down with some cores sleeping.

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
thanks for the info guys, I'm going to upgrade the HSF anyway because I'd like to overclock and extend my current hardware's lifespan

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
my mobo is the MSI z87-G41 Will a bios update improve temps? Im thinking that even if the BIOS temps are accurate, I could bring them down with a good HSF. Im still using the stock HSF unfortunately.

Well, the stock HSF may explain it. Invest in a good heatpipe cooler.

It seems to my personal experience and recollections from posts here in past years that an early BIOS revision can give erroneous readings of temperatures. But I'd attend to getting a better cooler first. After you see the results, you can weigh the need to revise your BIOS.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
I think bononos has the best answer. The BIOS doesn't implement Intel Speedstep technology while Windows does. As a result, in BIOS your CPU is at 3.4 Ghz and ~1.25 Volts even at idle while in Windows it is at ~1.5 Ghz and about ~0.8 Volts. As a result, the chip draws about a quarter of the power in Windows idle vs. BIOS idle.

Still, I would think about a new cooler because the chip is probably getting pretty toasty at load and those stock fans can really makes some noise when the heat increases.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I think bononos has the best answer. The BIOS doesn't implement Intel Speedstep technology while Windows does. As a result, in BIOS your CPU is at 3.4 Ghz and ~1.25 Volts even at idle while in Windows it is at ~1.5 Ghz and about ~0.8 Volts. As a result, the chip draws about a quarter of the power in Windows idle vs. BIOS idle.

Still, I would think about a new cooler because the chip is probably getting pretty toasty at load and those stock fans can really makes some noise when the heat increases.

+1 and :thumbsup:

He's using the stock cooler so even the discrepancy in BIOS (no EIST) and Windows seemed too much to what I'm used to seeing. But even with a good cooler, yeah -- the BIOS reading is always higher for bononos's explanation.