According to Political site "The Hill" some in the Democratic Party looking to Primary Ilhan Omar

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should the Democratic Party Primary Ilhan Omar

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • stop bashing the Democratic Party!!!

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I am not Jewish, so it is not for me to say what is and is not offensive, but there are plenty of Jewish Democrats who are none too pleased with her choice of words. It is one thing to criticize Israel. It is another to irresponsibly and immaturely evoke dog whistles on Twitter. It is not what she said but how she said it. She is a liability.

Again only a liability to those who want to keep the sweet lobbyist money coming along.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I am not Jewish, so it is not for me to say what is and is not offensive, but there are plenty of Jewish Democrats who are none too pleased with her choice of words. It is one thing to criticize Israel. It is another to irresponsibly and immaturely evoke dog whistles on Twitter. It is not what she said but how she said it. She is a liability.

It's a shame how you don't demand the same careful phraseology from our President. It reeks of hypocrisy.

Reactions: sandorski

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What is your view of conservative Christian groups that only support Israel because they need the world to fall apart so their Messiah will return?

I do find it ironic that the people that cry about her being anti-semitic are the very same people that tend to masturbate themselves to sleep every night over fantasies of jews and muslims murdering each other such that their personal version of Jesus may return. I mean, it is literally the only reason that evangelicals support Israel: the fulmination of war where by all jews will be martyred in order to bring about the end of the world.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I prefer the parables that involve fish and bread. Mote and beam only applies if I were defending Trump.

You do it all the time. The current topic on the census illustrates that entirely.

The most astounding example of conservative double standards in recent history was the 2016 election, with "Crooked Hillary!" being the battle cry of supporters of the most crooked person to ever run for president.

I'll agree that Ilhan Omar could have put it differently but even her detractors haven't claimed she was wrong at a fundamental level. They just go on about how her words evoke anti-semitic tropes in their well conditioned minds. Israel can do no wrong, because Holocaust.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You do it all the time. The current topic on the census illustrates that entirely.
It illustrates I don’t subscribe to alarmism

The most astounding example of conservative double standards in recent history was the 2016 election, with "Crooked Hillary!" being the battle cry of supporters of the most crooked person to ever run for president.
You are the one who insists on bringing her up. Poor Hillary. So cheated.

I'll agree that Ilhan Omar could have put it differently but even her detractors haven't claimed she was wrong at a fundamental level. They just go on about how her words evoke anti-semitic tropes in their well conditioned minds. Israel can do no wrong, because Holocaust.
Which what I am saying as well. Omar is clearly not at Trump level of stupid, but some of her supporters are, especially those rallying to her defense and screaming Islamophobia...they must really want Trump to win a second term.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
I'll agree that she should be more careful with her messaging. She has said some things that were tone deaf as to the implications that could be assumed to her words, making her an easy target.

She hasn't accused them of supporting a (minor, local) foreign power; instead, she has accused them of “allegiance to a foreign country.” Support is one thing; allegiance is something completely different, which feeds into the classic antisemitic canard of dual loyalty. After all, an American can advocate that the U.S. support another country and still be a patriotic American, but one who gives "allegiance" - a claim that she does not support in any way - cannot.

I don't think Omar is anti-Jewish. She might be a little anti-Israel. Not that I want her or anyone to be anti-Israel. She's stepped on political landmines for sure.

There are a lot of people worldwide that want to get rid of Nicolas Maduro and his government. Does that mean those people are 'anti-Venezuela' and want to get rid of all Venezuelans? Same question for Kim Jong Un and being 'anti-North Korea' or wanting all (North-) Koreans to be eliminated. There is nothing wrong with Israel or Jews (Israeli- or non-Israeli ones), but the current fascist government of Israel is a problem that needs solving. If Trump decided to give billions of dollars in weapons and other stuff to North Korea to help Kim oppress his people and do sneak attacks on South Korea, would you think that would be an admirable thing? Or do you think that is only wrong because the Bible doesn't mention the Kim family being in power in NK?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I hate everybody who identifies with anything beyond being anything but simply human. I have no use for people who identify as Jews, Muslims or Christians or any other religion. I despise people who are bowlers or tennis players. Soccer fans make me sick and Superbowl day is the day of idiots. I hate Americans or any other national group, people of any race. The only people I like are nobodies who are simply human, who are too humble, to self effacing, to belong to anything. My favorite Christmas tree is one that stands unadorned in the forest.

Who you be? The lover ceases to exist in the Presence of the Beloved.

Time for a song:

Who is the Beloved if not you?

We return you now to your regular programming.