According to an online survey on MSN.com, more Amercians are paying an accountant to do their taxes, than those that do it themselfs.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
As of 6:40PM today, in a poll on the MSN home page, with currently 217,621 votes, 44% of Americans are claiming they pay an accountant to do their taxes, compared to the 37% that do it themselves. 16% claim that someone else other than an accountant does the taxes for them, while 3% claim they do not file taxes at all. If looked at in another way, it can be said that 37% do their taxes themself, while 60% of Americans have their taxes done by an accountant or someone else.

1.jpg

This comes to show that even in modern day, where tax filing software for the general public are available, the public are still putting more trust on others to do their taxes. Bellow are some information of still ongoing poll questions related to taxes on the MSN homepage.

As of 6:44PM today, another poll question with currently 183,449 votes, 42% are saying that they expect a tax rebate, while 42% claim they are not expecting one. 16% are not sure.

rebate.jpg

As of 6:49PM, another poll question with currently 188,267 votes, 41% say they are paying ruffly the same amount, with 19% saying less than usual, and 22% claiming more than usual. 18% are claiming they do not know yet.

owe how much.png

The more than usual is understanding, as Biden had planned to tax the rich, and decrease tax cuts for the rich. Further more, with the inclusion of gifts over $500 to become taxable. As for the less than usual category, this could include those that have been furloughed, unemployed, or will not have to pay back any government COVID-19 money given to them, as Democrats last year have passed bills to make COVID-19 funding to be not taxable.

PS: Sorry for the delay in posting, it was not allowing me to upload images. Apparently, only one .png file got uploaded and the rest kept failing. It only worked when I switched the other two into .jpg.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Survey probably confused the 40% of Americans that file on-line (e.g. TurboTax) for which category to use, which really should have been either its own categories or explicitly included in lines - free on-line, paid on-line (TurboTax can be considered to fall under all 3 categories listed - they provide accountant services for audit if required, file taxes on your behalf, while letting you do all of the manual work). Ask vague questions, get meaningless survey results.

TurboTax has brilliantly lobbied to keep the tax code complicated & blocked attempts to simplify and have government prepare tax filings for you for free.

Have to protect the $31 odd billion wasted on tax preparation each year, while leaving loopholes for the ultra-rich.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
As of 6:40PM today, in a poll on the MSN home page, with currently 217,621 votes, 44% of Americans are claiming they pay an accountant to do their taxes, compared to the 37% that do it themselves. 16% claim that someone else other than an accountant does the taxes for them, while 3% claim they do not file taxes at all. If looked at in another way, it can be said that 37% do their taxes themself, while 60% of Americans have their taxes done by an accountant or someone else.

View attachment 59887

This comes to show that even in modern day, where tax filing software for the general public are available, the public are still putting more trust on others to do their taxes. Bellow are some information of still ongoing poll questions related to taxes on the MSN homepage.

As of 6:44PM today, another poll question with currently 183,449 votes, 42% are saying that they expect a tax rebate, while 42% claim they are not expecting one. 16% are not sure.

View attachment 59888

As of 6:49PM, another poll question with currently 188,267 votes, 41% say they are paying ruffly the same amount, with 19% saying less than usual, and 22% claiming more than usual. 18% are claiming they do not know yet.

View attachment 59877

The more than usual is understanding, as Biden had planned to tax the rich, and decrease tax cuts for the rich. Further more, with the inclusion of gifts over $500 to become taxable. As for the less than usual category, this could include those that have been furloughed, unemployed, or will not have to pay back any government COVID-19 money given to them, as Democrats last year have passed bills to make COVID-19 funding to be not taxable.

PS: Sorry for the delay in posting, it was not allowing me to upload images. Apparently, only one .png file got uploaded and the rest kept failing. It only worked when I switched the other two into .jpg.
What is your point?

Did you know that the Trump "tax cuts" were not permanent for middle and lower class? Only for Rich people?
So it would look like Biden raised taxes on the poor? Straight out of Newt Gingrich's playbook.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
What is your point?

Did you know that the Trump "tax cuts" were not permanent for middle and lower class? Only for Rich people?
So it would look like Biden raised taxes on the poor? Straight out of Newt Gingrich's playbook.
There were tax cuts there for the middle and lower class, but the tax cuts were more profound for the the rich. In the 117th congress however, some of the cuts were removed or replaced. Unfotunately, the actions done in 2020 only reflect in the 2021 income ( basically taxes filed this year).

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
There were tax cuts there for the middle and lower class, but the tax cuts were more profound for the the rich. In the 117th congress however, some of the cuts were removed or replaced. Unfotunately, the actions done in 2020 only reflect in the 2021 income ( basically taxes filed this year).
Who was the President that made those actions done in 2020?
Edit: I work with a group of people that think Trump didn't plan it that way. Why I am asking you your thoughts.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Edit: I work with a group of people that think Trump didn't plan it that way. Why I am asking you your thoughts.
Trump wanted Reaganomics back in its pure form.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

Unless you have some very special arrangements, doing taxes in Denmark usually takes less than an hour.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
trump? planning? ROFL!!!! now someone in his admin? sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The type of people who fill out MSN surveys....
I have so much I want to say right now but I think OP gets enough shit from people nowadays and has the whole job search situation.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Survey probably confused the 40% of Americans that file on-line (e.g. TurboTax) for which category to use, which really should have been either its own categories or explicitly included in lines - free on-line, paid on-line (TurboTax can be considered to fall under all 3 categories listed - they provide accountant services for audit if required, file taxes on your behalf, while letting you do all of the manual work). Ask vague questions, get meaningless survey results.

TurboTax has brilliantly lobbied to keep the tax code complicated & blocked attempts to simplify and have government prepare tax filings for you for free.

Have to protect the $31 odd billion wasted on tax preparation each year, while leaving loopholes for the ultra-rich.
I will never use Turbotax again. They refused to send me new code after they verified that there was no SSA module in the product I bought though Costco. I just went to Efile this year. Never again after using it for years. They have horrible customer relations.