Accessing network devices or PC's from the internet

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I have two network cameras and a linksys router. The cameras have IP's which are internal (192.168.x.x)
When I want to access them through the internet, do I use the IP that the router gets from the ISP? How do I then access the cameras? I guess this would apply to PC's that are behind a router as well.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
you need to forward ports to the IP's. Lets say the cameras use port 80 (http). Depending on your router, you would find the game/application/port forwarding portion of your router, and set up port 80 to forward to 192.168.1.2

then, when someone from the world hits your live IP on port 80, the router forwards the traffic to the device on 192.168.1.2

the problem comes in when you have multiple devices on the same port, such as 2 cameras. Then you either need to change the port on the camera (put camera one on port 80, camera two on port 81) and setup forwarding.

If your devicds do not support changing the port, you can setup your router (not all support this) to do port translation. So you hit live.ip:81 to forward to camera.one:80 and live.ip:82 to forward to camera.two:80

If your router supports the second method, it's what I prefer. I also move stuff to nonstandard ports, like SSH from 22 to 2290 or something, just so that script kiddies scanning ports don't find something to try and bruteforce.