Access Denied going to a specific website from my home network.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
OK, so this one has me stumped. If I go to www.costco.com, I get an error that says:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.costco.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.b5a03d42.1523718680.27b8449

I get this from any computer, any browser, even my phone, when I'm connected to my home wifi. If I turn wifi off on my phone and use the cell signal, everything works fine.

I've gone to costco.com dozens of times in the past and just noticed it not working this morning.

I rebooted my router and it didn't help at all. Any have any clue as to what the heck might be going on? My router is an Asus RT-AC66W if that matters.

Thanks!

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Well, I don't know what changed but I just tried it again and it's working fine now. Maybe it was something with Spectrum in my area or something. Ah well.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Well, I don't know what changed but I just tried it again and it's working fine now. Maybe it was something with Spectrum in my area or something. Ah well.

This is why that platitude about 'the defintiion of madness is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results' is nonsense. At least when it comes to computers. There it's _standard procedure_ to do the same thing repeatedly, and much of the time you do eventually get a different result!

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I had been trying it all morning with no success. Just took a few hours and then it decided to work. Gotta love it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
sounds like a DNS issue. My ISP did that me all the time back in the day. I couldn't even go on google. I changed the DNS servers on my router and things were back to normal ever since.