Abu Ghraib prison to be torn down

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
An empty symbolic gesture to help his slumping approval ratings?

I don't know how he expects that to work. Most of America isn't politically tuned in and would probably think Abu Ghraib is the name of The Simpsons character who owns the local Kwik-E-Mart.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
maybe they need to hide something...

<conspiracy mode>

Isn't it interesting the Berg video showed the masked men in front of a wall that looked exactly like the color and appearance of the walls in Abu Ghraib? And that white chair Berg was sitting in looks awfully similar to the one PFC England was sitting in a photo in Abu Ghraib.

</conspiracy mode>

onelove

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Zephyr106
Originally posted by: glenn1
And what precisely is this going to accomplish?

Abu Ghraib to be demolished

For the Iraqis this is like tearing down Auschwitz. Before the US prisoner abuse crisis this prison was Saddam's house of horrors.

Zephyr

maybe if the Iraqis feel strongly about it, they can demolish it once they have "full sovereignty" in 5 weeks - we have enough fish to fry right now.

The US should have done this the day after troops took down saddam's statue, not AFTER the US took it over and used it as a prison.

Emveach

Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
maybe they need to hide something...

<conspiracy mode>

Isn't it interesting the Berg video showed the masked men in front of a wall that looked exactly like the color and appearance of the walls in Abu Ghraib? And that white chair Berg was sitting in looks awfully similar to the one PFC England was sitting in a photo in Abu Ghraib.

</conspiracy mode>

Wow. It all makes since now. Everyone knows that the walls were painted there with the only can of that color known to exist, and that there was only ever one of those chairs made in the world.:roll: Moron.

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NightCrawler
It was huge mistake for the US to use that prison in any manner.
As I understand it it was the only high security facility readily available at the time. We didn't exactly have time to stop and build a new one in the middle of a war.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Format C:
As I understand it it was the only high security facility readily available at the time. We didn't exactly have time to stop and build a new one in the middle of a war.
Irrelevant. It was huge mistake for the US to use that prison in any manner except as a museum.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Format C:

I reckon that a POW camp could have been built. I don't buy the "it would've been too difficult arguement".

When I realised that the prison they were using was the same one that was so notorious under Saddam I knew that public perception would not be good. This was before any of the prisoner abuse stuff emerged.

Andy