Absolutely loving Zelda OoT on my 3DS

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Never finished the game back in the day. I rented it for a week and got to the water temple then had to return it to the video store, never got back to the game. I'm just about finished it now on my 3DS, fucking fantastic!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yah that game is amazing. some people will argue its the best zelda of all time. personally i like LTTP the best, but OOT was an extremely close 2nd. the game is a masterpiece.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I've been enjoying OoT myself, but with a celshaded texture pack in the style of wind waker. I like it.

rDcep.jpg

2d1sb.jpg

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
wow. those are gorgeous screen shots. i have it on my wii, but the graphics are the old n64 ones.

i loved that game though - definitely one of my favorites of all time.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I've been enjoying OoT myself, but with a celshaded texture pack in the style of wind waker. I like it.

That's pretty cool. Will have to look for that one. The HD texture pack is a good one too.

OoT was the game that convinced me to buy an N64. Still one of my all time favourites. Played it to death and I pretty much cleared the game back in the day. Just never got that last heart piece in the graveyard digging game.

The two N64 Zeldas are still the best IMO.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
That's pretty cool. Will have to look for that one. The HD texture pack is a good one too.

OoT was the game that convinced me to buy an N64. Still one of my all time favourites. Played it to death and I pretty much cleared the game back in the day. Just never got that last heart piece in the graveyard digging game.

The two N64 Zeldas are still the best IMO.

agreed~

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Just finished up Master Quest using Project64. The updated texture packs really are nice.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Just finished up Master Quest using Project64. The updated texture packs really are nice.

The master quest is also in the 3DS version. You unlock it when you finish the regular game. Might go back to it at some point but I don't really think there is enough new content in it to really enjoy it. Am I wrong?

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Why was it dumb?

I don't like being on a clock, I want to play the game at my pace, etc. I know you can roll back the time, so it's mostly okay.

MM had the overall best implementation I've seen to date of a time aspect, so I got over it, but I don't like it.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I don't like being on a clock, I want to play the game at my pace, etc. I know you can roll back the time, so it's mostly okay.

MM had the overall best implementation I've seen to date of a time aspect, so I got over it, but I don't like it.

Yea pretty much. Any game that imposes a time limit of some sort really dampens my enjoyment of the game... even if the time limit has minimal impact on my play style. For this reason alone, I couldn't get into Dead Rising at all because of the time limit.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Just finished it myself. Too bad the 3DS doesn't have many more titles like this. :(

Yeah but it's still early days for the 3DS. More good stuff is on the way I'm sure. There's still plenty of great DS titles to play while we wait. I've been on an old school JRPG kick of late. I've finished Dragon Quest 4-6 and 9 on the 3(DS) and I'm playing Chrono Trigger again right now.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
The master quest is also in the 3DS version. You unlock it when you finish the regular game. Might go back to it at some point but I don't really think there is enough new content in it to really enjoy it. Am I wrong?

It depends. The only things that are modified are the dungeons -- all of the outside quests and such are unchanged. The dungeons are given new puzzles and such, but they still play quite similarly.

I'd recommend MQ if you feel like playing OoT again in the future, but if you don't really have that urge right now I wouldn't bother with it.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005

With the half-speed time song, I never really felt rushed. I agree that the feeling of being on a timer can kill some of the fun sometimes, but I really liked the main effect it had. It was like Zelda meets Groundhog Day.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Majora's Mask had too many quirks that bothered me, and the time aspect was dumb. It definitely isn't better than LttP, though, imo.

I thought Majora's Mask was the worst PoS game that I've ever played.

For best Zelda games, it's a tie with LtP and Ocarina for me. ...I never had an N64, so I only got to play Ocarina sparingly and once-through.

I probably went through LttP a dozen times. (I think these are some of the best games I've ever played, too)

Last edited:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I thought Majora's Mask was the worst PoS game that I've ever played.

For best Zelda games, it's a tie with LtP and Ocarina for me. ...I never had an N64, so I only got to play Ocarina sparingly and once-through.

I probably went through LttP a dozen times. (I think these are some of the best games I've ever played, too)

Have you played any of the other Zelda titles since then on consoles and handhelds? Wind Waker, Twilight Princes, Spirit Tracks, etc?? I've loved all of these (though I haven't played WW yet).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Have you played any of the other Zelda titles since then on consoles and handhelds? Wind Waker, Twilight Princes, Spirit Tracks, etc?? I've loved all of these (though I haven't played WW yet).

nope.

the most recent Nintendo device that I owned was an SNES. the last hand-held that I touched was the original Gameboy.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

rDcep.jpg

2d1sb.jpg

Did they ever actually *finish* those texture packs? Back in the day when I was looking at them, they only replaced like half the textures, and it looked kinda bizarre.

In either case, link please.