Absolute best, FREE tax filing website out there?

Oct 19, 2000
Where is the best FREE tax filling website out there? I prefer the site to be able to file both state and federal at the same time, and of course, must be absolutely free. I will eventually sort through the sites listed on irs.gov (if they are even up yet), but sometimes it's time consuming to find one that will file both state and federal for free.

I should be eligible for any site you give, as I'm not married (yet), no children, and I make under $25,000 a year. Thanks for any recommendations. And yes, I'm posting this because I'm lazy :p.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
The Free File Alliance is a Public-Private Partnership between tax software companies like Intuit, the IRS and more than a dozen state tax agencies. Through the Alliance, low-income and other underserved taxpayers are able to use the best-known and most trusted commercial tax preparation software products for free. There is no cost to the IRS or the state governments that are using the Alliance model to deliver these free services to hard working Americans.
These states have formed Free File Alliances:

Alabama
Arizona
Georgia
Idaho
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Montana
New York
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Vermont
lucky sonofa... :p (unless the state listed in your profile is incorrect)

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: TuxDave
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=38&threadid=1228669

You can ask again in the OTHER tax thread
The OTHER tax thread is a different question that mine. Thanks anyway though.......
rolleye.gif

And yes, my profile is correct :p.

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Tax Freedom Qualifications.... must have changed because I used it last year when I was 23 at time of filing.

For the 2004 tax season taxpayers can prepare and file their federal return online for free with Intuit's TurboTax for the Web if they:

Qualify for the federal Earned Income Credit (EIC), or
During calendar year 2003:
Were age 62 or older (taxpayer or spouse), or
Were age 22 or younger (taxpayer or spouse), or
Served active Military duty (including Reservists & National Guard).