About to fall asleep, then scared awake constantly

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Does anyone know how to cure this? My fiance can't fall asleep because of it, I think it might be a side effect of the vicatin she is taking. She just had her gallbladder removed.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
That would happen to me while I was sleeping through class in college.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: binister

yea, I would start to doze off, and then all of a sudden I feel like I jolt and am awake for a few, then my body realizes its safe and figures it should start dozing off again. Thankfully the daily ephedrine has kept that whole dozing off in class thing at bay this entire quarter. Pretty proud actually. :)
now at home on the other hand. I'll be sitting here on my computer and start nodding off.

it's weird, after I jolt awake, I kind of think 'does anyone notice my head snapping back every now and then?'
it's a weird feeling

Originally posted by: JohnCU
ohh it's called something, its on wikipedia... ? myoclonic jerk?

if it was your plan, you can stamp gullible on my forehead.. i searched wiki to no avail :laugh:

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I'm no doctor, but I'd guess the vicodin is screwing her up.

If she were able to achieve relaxation and absence of tension, say through meditation, that might help mediate the affect of the drug.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
This happens to me about 2-3 times a week (that I'm aware of) and I'm not on vicodin... never even taken it before.

It never happens while I'm asleep, only when I'm trying to fall asleep... I'll doze off to a point where I'm not really conscious but not yet asleep and then I will just jolt awake.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Judgement
This happens to me about 2-3 times a week (that I'm aware of) and I'm not on vicodin... never even taken it before.

It never happens while I'm asleep, only when I'm trying to fall asleep... I'll doze off to a point where I'm not really conscious but not yet asleep and then I will just jolt awake.

not from the hydrocodone...

i've had lots of opiate experience... the only side effect i ever had was feeling awesome, and "morphine dreams" which is dreaming while your awake....

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: binister

yea, I would start to doze off, and then all of a sudden I feel like I jolt and am awake for a few, then my body realizes its safe and figures it should start dozing off again. Thankfully the daily ephedrine has kept that whole dozing off in class thing at bay this entire quarter. Pretty proud actually. :)
now at home on the other hand. I'll be sitting here on my computer and start nodding off.

it's weird, after I jolt awake, I kind of think 'does anyone notice my head snapping back every now and then?'
it's a weird feeling

Originally posted by: JohnCU
ohh it's called something, its on wikipedia... ? myoclonic jerk?

if it was your plan, you can stamp gullible on my forehead.. i searched wiki to no avail :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

mh47g

May 25, 2007
It happens to me every once in a while... I usually relate it to me being very tired, and ......... damnit I can't remember... It was the perfect explanation but I'm too tired to remember it. Something having to do with your memory ( or something)

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Duddy
Does anyone know how to cure this? My fiance can't fall asleep because of it, I think it might be a side effect of the vicatin she is taking. She just had her gallbladder removed.

fiance != her

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
This happens to me every time I take vicadin, I now specifically ask the doctor for percocets now. It lasted until the drug wore off, about 4 hours after I took it, tell her to dont stress about it, it will pass soon. I could not sleep at all with vicaden, it was pretty shitty. When I wasnt sleeping I was ok though...

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
This happens to me when, in the rarest of circumstances, I try to fall asleep next to someone who might kill me in my sleep.
Just sayin.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: zanejohnson
Originally posted by: Judgement

not from the hydrocodone...

i've had lots of opiate experience... the only side effect i ever had was feeling awesome, and "morphine dreams" which is dreaming while your awake....

I've always associated/assumed the 'scares' are because my brain is used to trying to stay alert... regardless of the time of day.

I have a job where I have to be able to respond ASAP and I never had any issues before this job

Sometimes, even when off-duty when my phone rings my attitude changes because I instantly think its work

cjvon

Jan 7, 2008
Originally posted by: buck
This happens to me every time I take vicadin, I now specifically ask the doctor for percocets now. It lasted until the drug wore off, about 4 hours after I took it, tell her to dont stress about it, it will pass soon. I could not sleep at all with vicaden, it was pretty shitty. When I wasnt sleeping I was ok though...

About 15% of pharmaceutical opiate users have a "speed" effect from the drug. I'm one of them as I cannot sleep if I take any type of synthetic (or semi-synthetic) opiate. I've never been prescribed oxycodone (thank science), but I have been prescribed codeine and hydrocodone and every time I am awake until at least 4:00 AM.

My doctor said the syndrome is more common with hydrocodone than, say, codeine.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
i get that jerk whenever i fall asleep during class. It's a pain to wake up every 30 seconds

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
If it happens every time you take vicodin, stop taking vicodin.

Those of you drug free people who claim this happens, it could be anxiety, or possibly sleep apnea. I deal with it as well, and am drug free. I'm no doctor, but it's something to look into.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
So is it like when your body jolts a second for no reason? It happens to me when I try to take naps.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
This happens to me sometimes, no medication or anything here, although I do drink a lot of coffee :) Maybe that's it...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Interesting, that happens to me as well once and a while. I've always wondered if the shake was in reality, or more in form of a dream.

I found out it is an actual occurance and not just simulated through a dream, after that time I scared the shit out of my cat sleeping on me and ended up with deep claw marks across my arm. Was too tired to care so just let it bleed and fell back asleep LOL. The cat probably thinking "WTF was that about?" went to sleep away from me.

No medication here either. Though I do drink a few pops per day.

Another thing I get sometimes thats really really weird is I'll fall in a sense of high intensiveness as if something really bad is going to happen like a nightmare about to start, and I'm frozen and have to snap myself out of it. At this point I'm actually fully awake. Think when this happens is right when I'm about to fall asleep but get "stuck" half way through. At least thats my guess.

Wow with this stuff happening maybe I actually have a sleep disorder and don't know it. :p

I remember watching a show on a discorder known as night terror, thats actually very creepy.