About to attend my first comic expo. What should I expect?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
There's a comic expo coming up near me that my girlfriend really wants to go to (mainly to see Jason Isaacs), but we've never been to one and I'm not entirely sure what there is to do at one of these expos other than walk around and look at stuff. I've looked at the upcoming events and none of them interest us, so I'm unsure what actually goes on at these things. I'm hoping to get the autograph/photo op of Jason Isaacs for her birthday (which is also coming up) but other than that, I'm kinda at a loss.

Can someone fill me in on maybe some things to look out for or things to do? I'm not finding much information for this one in my area other than at one point, there was a stabbing a few years back so now security is pretty tight and we will be subject to searches and cosplayed weapons are subject to inspection.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
cosplay, boobs, nerds, boobs.

by "a comic book expo" do you mean Comicon?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
No, not Comicon. It's just a comic expo with a large array of guests. I tried typing in Comicon for my area and it brought up one that's coming next year.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There's a comic expo coming up near me that my girlfriend really wants to go to (mainly to see Jason Isaacs), but we've never been to one and I'm not entirely sure what there is to do at one of these expos other than walk around and look at stuff. I've looked at the upcoming events and none of them interest us, so I'm unsure what actually goes on at these things. I'm hoping to get the autograph/photo op of Jason Isaacs for her birthday (which is also coming up) but other than that, I'm kinda at a loss.

Can someone fill me in on maybe some things to look out for or things to do? I'm not finding much information for this one in my area other than at one point, there was a stabbing a few years back so now security is pretty tight and we will be subject to searches and cosplayed weapons are subject to inspection.

Dissapointment

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Dress up as some kind of superhero, otherwise it will be awkward. Spiderman is always a safe bet.

That's just horrible advice. If you're going to your very first comic book convention you ALWAYS go as Wonder Woman. Original WW, not the Gal Gadot version. That's the polite way to announce that you belong there and that you're one of them. If you do Spiderman the regulars will laugh at you.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
You got it, walk around, look at stuff/people, maybe buy stuff.

This is pretty much it. It kind of looks like high school, but instead of goths, skater, etc., it's Marvel, DC, Doctor Who, and so on. And only a percentage of people dress up...the stuff you see on Youtube & Instagram are generally the highlights.

You more or less make of it what you want to. It's more or less a flea market for nerds. Take photos, eat food, go to panels, bring some money to get autographs, etc. People are generally pretty chill because it's a bunch of geeks all together, which is fun because everyone shares the same interests. imo it's more fun if you go with friends so you can look at stuff & talk about it.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Lots of booths selling comics and related toys. Lots of artists you've never heard of trying to sell their books or their art. Random booth like gutter cleaning (why are these at every con?) Lots of sorta awkward people into comic. Some Cosplay. Panels on various aspects of comic and cosplay. Id make sure you look into what panels you're interested in and attend those. You can only spend so much time on the show floor unless you're trying to hunt down a specific comic or something. (which is easier on the net these days anyways.)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Burn some incense for the 33 people that died in the Kyoto Animation Studio arsonist attack :(

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007