About that dude that killed that man at the kid's hockey game :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
That was still no excuse. If I had a child in that kind of hockey game, I let the kid quit! No buts about that. And such tiny actions does not justify for a fight that would lead to one's death.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Jeez, this happened only 2 towns away from where I reside, it's getting a lot of media attention. From what I gathered from the newspapers, the victim was no saint either. He'd been arrested 7 times in the past for various offenses, ranging from assault and battery on a police officer, to drug charges, and plain old assault.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< How could you just generalize everyone through just one example?
>>

I'm talking about parents acting out at games &quot;in general.&quot; It's becoming an epidemic in this country. Parent fighting each other. Parents fighting referees and cussing each other out. I think that what I said was a good &quot;general&quot; assessment,

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Both men were at fault. The big guy didn't mean to kill him. Nobody has shown any evidence that there was head smashing or blood. Manslaughter seems to describe the crime exactly. He will be punished.

Some of you guys need to put down your torches and relax. ;)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From CNN:

<< The arrest warrant for Junta, who was originally charged with assault and battery, came after an autopsy by the state medical examiner's office concluded Costin died of blunt force trauma to the head and neck. >>

Blunt force trauma...all that from punches?? Injuries to the neck as well. I'm no Doug Ross or Mark Green, but it sounds like more than punching to me.

I'm Typing

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Triumph, that is like saying a person who is sitting in line in her car at a fast food joint was partially responsible for being robbed, because she left her window open and the purse on the seat. Junta had no right to go after the guy. If he did not like the way the game was going, he should have just got his kid off the ice. Instead he chose to beat the guy until the guy dies.

It takes two people to start and continue a fight. I weigh 250, and if I was in an argument with a 150 pound guy, the LAST thing I would do would be to strike him. Junta will get what he deserves. I hope.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Also from cnn: http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/07/11/hockey.fight.02/index.html

<< &quot;How would you like to see your father being killed and pleading with the man who is killing him to 'Stop hitting my father,'&quot; said Augustine Costin, the victim's father.

Augustine Costin himself was convicted of manslaughter in the stabbing death of another son, Dennis, 17, about 25 years ago, The Boston Globe reported Tuesday.
>>

First off, let's throw out anything said by a guy who kills his son with a knife.

<< &quot;Mr. Junta ... has bruises to his ribs. He has bruises and cuts on the inside of his legs where he was defending himself from where he was kicked.&quot; >>

It was a two way fight.

<< Junta beat Costin around his head and neck, repeatedly on the left side, the prosecutor said. Costin's head hit the floor, which stopped the flow of blood to his brain, Butler said. >>

Sounds to me like a hockey fight. No mention is maid of how the guys head hit the ground.

<< At least 25 witnesses, including the victim's three sons, reportedly watched as the two men fought. >>

Anyone who fights in front of their son is a loser. I'm not defending Junta, I'm just saying their is no proof of first or second degree murder and that Costin was just as bad, if not worse (not only an ass, but a stupid ass to pick a fight with a guy that big).

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
Triumph
Be careful when you read something in the paper and call it fact...
You assume that the news media always report correctly and are never biased in their reporting. I have given reports to papers and TV on occasion and rarely do they get it completely correct.

As a hockey official I can tell you from experience that this incident doesn't surprise me. I've seen women pulling hair because of a tied game, while the kids stand by and watch in amazement!

Marketson1985..
Sounds like your coach has taught your team the word &quot;sportsmanship&quot; and your parents have never caught on!

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/07/10/hockey.fight.03/index.html

<< Junta, who is 6-foot-1 and weighs 275 pounds, knocked the 6-foot, 150-pound Costin to the floor and punched him in the head, police said. Another adult broke up the fight, but Costin was unconscious. >>

Again, no mention of &quot;head bashing.&quot;

This place is getting very bad about gossip. The whole britney spears marriage thing came from a british tabloid and was accepted as truth without question (It's not true, btw). Good grief.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
From the boston globe:http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/192/metro/Manslaughter_charged_in_rink_beating+.shtml

<< At a news conference at the Reading police station yesterday, Middlesex District Attorney Martha Coakley said that following an autopsy conducted Saturday on Costin, she determined that Junta should be tried for manslaughter rather than murder because ''there is no indication of an intent to kill.'

A rink employee ordered Junta to leave the building after the verbal sparring led to a brief off-ice shoving match. But the 6-foot-2, 275-pound Junta, a truck driver, allegedly returned and knocked Costin, described as 5 feet 11 inches and 170 pounds, to the floor in a hallway. Police say Junta pushed his knee in Costin's chest, pinning the smaller man to the floor, and proceeded to pummel him.

Coakley said that while there were about 40 people at the rink at the time of the altercation, most of them were in the locker room and did not see the beating. There were several witnesses, however, including Costin's children.
>>

Sad, pathetic, but not murder. :(

<< I'm just going by what was said on the television >>

No comment needed. ;)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Every source tells a different story...guess that's the way it goes

SlickWilly

Banned
Oct 30, 1999
An eye for an eye. I really don't care one bit about either of the guys. They obviously are too neanderthalic (did I make that up?) to live on this planet. Fighting over their children's hockey game. Humans are stupid.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
In my state (NH) the standard death penelty is by HANGING !

no taxes and hanging? The Granite State has it all.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
but seriously that would suck for both guys. Either killing someone or being killed in what seems to be a simple brawl is a real bummer. I would hate to be on either end of that stick...

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
I would see it as an accident if they both just started roughing up eachother in the heat of the moment. However, Junta was asked to leave by and official, left, and then came back. By doing this, Junta was not acting in the heat of the moment. He went back, probably thinking, &quot;I'll teach that little twerp a thing or two!&quot; He, then became the aggressor, and the self defense cry is just a bunch of bull.

I do not believe that Junta re-entered the arena with the intent to kill, but death was the result of his actions. I do believe that he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Yeah, Costin wasn't a great guy (several convictions for violent crimes), but he was a father of four and a person. I feel bad for the kids. One report said that one of his sons climbed into the coffin with Costin at the funeral. Think, if a man with Costin's criminal history was able to obtain custody, what must the kids' mother be like? Poor, poor babies. Junta's got to do time.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i'm typing: you didn't read what i posted about. i was addressing the issue of everyone here reacting to gossip that they only read on the newsboard, instead of getting the facts.

bluezebra: the media story is better information than word of mouth. and anyway, no one takes more grains of salt with what they hear from the media than me. :)

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000710/us/hockey_fight_6.html

The coroner said three blows contributed to death:
Two to left side of head, one to neck

Another piece of the puzzle:
The reason the man had so many arrests was due to his wife torturing him in not allowing him to see his children on scheduled vists, driving him to nutty behavior. Unless you have gone thru not being able to see your kids, you wont understand this.
That he had a volatile personality did not help, of course.

Edit: $5000 Bail means hes gonna walk (prob.), or get like 6 mo.

llort

Jun 25, 2000
From the news reports the dead guy was a career criminal, so maybe Junta did society a favor.

biohazard2

Banned
May 1, 2000
I think back to a highschool debate we had on the subject of the death penalty. It's too easy of a way out for a scum bag like that. he should have each finger crushed, slowly, and one at a time. Then the same with his tows. From there he should be held responsible for the rasing of those children that he orphanned (personally and/or financially). For every screw up he has a mild beating to remind him of what he has to do. I'd gladly volunteer to kick the snot out of him till the kids are old enough and big enough to do it themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Death penalty???..what would that solve??...the asshole deserves to be put away for a long time...but putting him to death would just make the problem bigger..why??..because then his kids would go through the same thing the victom's kids did...and if you think that is justice or gonna solve the problem then your sorely mistaken

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
Junta and Costin got in a fight. Both men were liable for their own actions. Junta, who weighed 125 lbs more than Costin, had the advantage, and that obviously showed because Costin was fatally injured.

Both men were at fault.

Geez people -- you all sound like Junta took Costin's head and bashed it into the ground! Read the facts before you start to flame!

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
No the thing is that porky the disgruntled hockey fan came back into the rink and attacked Costin again. This (to me at least) rises to another level than they &quot;got in a fight.&quot;