About Logical core and execute instruction

life24

Mar 25, 2014
Hello,
Could you explain about it?
Why?

This is important to realize when you examine your computer hardware and estimate performance gains of a parallel application.
For our examples of performance estimations using Amdahl's and Gustafson's laws, we will only be counting physical cores because technically logical cores, in a single physical core, cannot execute instructions during the same clock cycle.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
[Citation Needed]

Implementations vary, but I'd say that the highlighted text is not true for some modern processors in some cases.

life24

Mar 25, 2014
[Citation Needed]

Implementations vary, but I'd say that the highlighted text is not true for some modern processors in some cases.

C# Multithreaded and Parallel Programming
Starting
Rodney Ringler

link deleted
spamming is not allowed here.
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:

life24

Mar 25, 2014
Do your own homework?

I attached from the above book. so this isn't HW.

y37vrp6y30tmdpb1via8.jpg

yekoxltd9zx5pm19d5b5.jpg

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
That's quite a simplified view. Often a pipeline will have openings in the various stages where instructions in one thread are stalled/flushed/bubbled, in some of these cases another thread can take advantage of the unused resource if SMT is implemented. So in some cases, two threads can essentially "fill" the single physical core more consistently, making better use of the pipelined resources.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
More than that, modern Intel cores have much more execution resources than a single typical thread can usually utilize, and the execution core is completely agnostic about which tread the instructions in the instruction window originate from. This means that they do usually execute instructions from both threads on almost every cycle in normal operation.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
More than that, modern Intel cores have much more execution resources than a single typical thread can usually utilize, and the execution core is completely agnostic about which tread the instructions in the instruction window originate from. This means that they do usually execute instructions from both threads on almost every cycle in normal operation.

See page 132 from one of Agner's optimization guides[1] to see what resources are shared between cores. If the shared resources are a bottleneck there won't be an advantage from SMT.

[1] http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
That's not true, outside of the Xeon Phi. A modern Intel core will schedule instructions from both Hyperthreads to be executed simultaneously.

I am almost certain that even (current) Xeon Phi can execute instructions from all HT threads on the core at same time as long as there are resources available. Being in-order has nothing to do with that ability.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
The point here is that introductory books are just that, an introduction. It's leaving out quite a few "modern" details. But that's ok for learning, jumping straight into a full modern core isn't advisable.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I attached from the above book. so this isn't HW.

y37vrp6y30tmdpb1via8.jpg

yekoxltd9zx5pm19d5b5.jpg

How old is that book? We've had superscalar x86 CPU cores that can execute more than one instruction per clock cycle for two decades.

I suggest you get a different book.

Last edited:

rodneyringler

Nov 5, 2015
csharpexpert.com
Yes, this is a simplified view of cpu architectures. I agree with the above comments conerning today's cpu architectures.

The book is viewing it from the software side. Specifically, the .NET Common Language Runtime engine's view and how it schedules threads and uses its pool of threads. The book is acurate from that perspective.

Hope this helps.

Rodney