About how much data does the GPS on a Android use?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by QueBert, Sep 13, 2010.

1. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

I have a Moto Droid that's not currently on any cell plan, I'm using it as a wifi only device until I find a suitable pre-paid provider to go with. The GPS on it seems pretty decent, but I have no idea how much data it would use on a typical 1-2 hour trip. Page Plus only gives 50 megs a month on their data plan, which I doubt would go far using GPS only, but I might be surprised.

On another related note, is there any other pre-paid provider besides Page Plus that uses Verizon's towers and offers a pre paid data plan with a decent chunk of megs included?

2. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Verizon has their own Pre-paid plan now but it's not that cheap.

3. ew915

ew915 Senior member

to give you an idea i had 3g watchdog reset to 0 and on a 38 mile trip the gps did like 8mb, but it was mostly on highways(95%) so ymmv

4. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Probably with other stuff going on in the background. Did it only watch that program or your whole phone? I can't imagine GPS using that much for not that long of a trip.

5. Strk

Strk Lifer

The GPS doesn't use any data. A-GPS uses a tiny bit to get your location. The program you're using is what uses data.

6. Spoooon

Spoooon Lifer

I think it caches your entire trip, so as long as you start and end your trip somewhere with wifi (and you don't restart your phone or exit out of nav), you should be good.

I didn't mess with this too much, but check out http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html