about auto paint and insurance converage

nn2000

May 9, 2003
The rear bumper paint of my 2001 corolla was peeling off in last few days. 10% painted area from the rear bumper was peeled off in car wash. I walked in a paint shop today to get an estimate, which turned out to be around $600. Someone from craigslist also offered the service for $150 with a short time warranty. But first of all, I wonder if the damage is under the COMPREHENSIVE coverage.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
PAB, that you?

no, comprehensive doesnt cover that. it covers something other people (including god) did to your car.

ie:
vandal keyed your car
someone hit your parked car in walmart's parking lot, making a dent in car door/quarterpanel
god caused tree limb to fall on your hood

paint flaking off.. nope

obvious suggestion:
you were parked. someone parked behind you and bumped your bumper several times, scraping off paint.

and your insurance doesnt increase on comprehensive claims since it's not your fault

btw- the bumper shell is plastic. it wont rust

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDI
PAB, that you?

no, comprehensive doesnt cover that. it covers something other people (including god) did to your car.

ie:
vandal keyed your car
someone hit your parked car in walmart's parking lot, making a dent in car door/quarterpanel
god caused tree limb to fall on your hood

paint flaking off.. nope

obvious suggestion:
you were parked. someone parked behind you and bumped your bumper several times, scraping off paint.

and your insurance doesnt increase on comprehensive claims since it's not your fault

btw- the bumper shell is plastic. it wont rust

I am pretty sure anytime your car contacts with a vehicle it will be a collision claim. Comp claims do count against your insurance and can increase your premiums.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I'm assuming you also have a $500 deductible on your auto insurance, so you'll still have to pay $500. Insurance will pay you $100 then increase your premium that will cost you more than if you didn't file a claim.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Call Toyota, there might be a recall or extended warranty that will cover it.
Ford once repainted my truck for free because of peeling paint, no hassle and no excuses, and it was well out of warranty.