Question About ASMEDIA ASM3242 USB 3.2 2x2 Controller

Panagos

Jan 10, 2022
First of all, thanks for accepting me to AnandTech.
Secondly, may sound silly the question,but i am still wondering HOW can be possible a controller such as the
ASM3242 USB 3.2 2x2 Controller Card ,
which is connected as a gen 3.0x4 laned connection,that has maximum speed per gen 3.0 lane 1Gbps,so x4 lanes means 4Gbps,to "multiply" speed to 20Gbps ? ..
Am i missing something important ? ..is it perhaps a commercial trick ? ..
If possible,can someone provide me some links ,or similarly answered questions,to better realise what is going on,just in case i am missing something ? ..
Thanks in behalf,and i will expecting some good response,first time in AnandTech as member,so please your understanding on the matter.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
HUH? A PCI-E 2.0 x4 controller just suffices for 10Gbit/sec ethernet. Surely your specs are incorrect, and PCI-E 3.0 x4 would suffice for 20Gbit USB.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not sure what you're seeing. I see nearly 4GB/sec for a PCI-E 3.0 x4 link.

Might help to educate yourself on the difference between gigabits and gigabytes, before you go any further with trying to understand PCs.

Reactions: Panagos

Panagos

Jan 10, 2022
Not sure what you're seeing. I see nearly 4GB/sec for a PCI-E 3.0 x4 link.

Might help to educate yourself on the difference between gigabits and gigabytes, before you go any further with trying to understand PCs.
No,you're right,i just forgot the connection between Gbps AND GT/S from encoding raw data ,and stuck my brain to PCIe lane speed.Tnx pal appreciated the reminding.