about all in one printers

nn2000

May 9, 2003
Are all in one printers has the ability to send fax from the electronic files in PC? My printers and fax machines are separated. Everytime I have to print the electronic files out to feed the fax machines. Are all in one printers able to save these paper?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Depends. Some AIO's have a built-in fax modem, others require you to have a fax modem in your PC, but otherwise, YES, you should be able to use them to send faxes.

I have 2 Epson AIO's and both can be used to send faxes as long at the PC they're connected to has a modem. (mine doesn't, but my wife's does)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Some do, some don't... how come you are dealing with people who can't accept document by email?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If you have a modem port on your PC, fax directly from the PC.

You can use a splitter on the fax phone line.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
My HP all in one doesn't fax from the PC. You gotta load a hardcopy to fax.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Stifko

My HP AIO does, you simply hit print, and choose the HP Fax printer from the options, plug in the phone # choose from the template cover sheets, and voila your done.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: NuroMancer
Originally posted by: Stifko

My HP AIO does, you simply hit print, and choose the HP Fax printer from the options, plug in the phone # choose from the template cover sheets, and voila your done.

oh maybe mine does too, but I did not know.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
"All-In-One"'s subdivide into "3-In-One" and "4-In-One".

My "3-In-One" type from Canon has a color scanner and an inkjet color printer, so it also has enough smarts to acts as a copier. However, it does NOT have the fourth element, a FAX modem. So by itself, it cannot send or receive FAXes, which meets my needs. I expected to do FAXing rarely, and NEVER expected to be receiving a FAX when I'm not there. So, I put a FAX modem into my computer. If I want to send a FAX of a printed piece of paper I can scan the doc into the computer, then "print" it to the FAX system which then asks me to specify what number to use, etc. And then it sends the FAX out using the FAX modem. Or, if the original material is an electronic file anyway, I can "print" that directly as a FAX without printing and re-scanning. If I want to receive a FAX, first I have to turn on my computer's FAX receiving software. Then the FAX modem can answer the incoming call. (It shares a phone line, so I have to not answer the call on the phone.)

A true "4-In-One" system puts the FAX modem into the printer. It can act as a stand-alone unattended FAX machine as well as a printer, scanner and copier. Usually it will come with software so that the computer can use it like a FAX modem, too. That is, you should be able to "print" any electronic file to the FAX sending system instead of the true printer if you want to.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: sdifox
Some do, some don't... how come you are dealing with people who can't accept document by email?

Signatures, contracts, legal documents.

But most all in ones should allow you to send a fax via the printer.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: sdifox

Signatures, contracts, legal documents.

But most all in ones should allow you to send a fax via the printer.

but if they accept fax, they must also be able to accept a pdf of the scanned docuement...