• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Abortion Reduces Crime?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I don't know if it's been posted before, but two years ago Scientific American had an article show correlation between the start of legalized abortion, and the steady decrease in crime starting some 18 years later. Granted, correlation does not always mean causation, but the study is compelling nonetheless.

link

Your thoughts?

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
I would think completley unrelated. The only way they could be related is if someone made the hypothesis that "the average kid who would have been aborted before abortion was legal is more likely to commit a crime due to lack of love/care/etc" couldn't be very well proven with that, since the oldest a kid who wouldn't have been aborted would only be 18, which isn't quite old enough to make a dent in the crime rate figures.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
1. The majority of crime IS committed by males between the ages of 18-24.

2. Unwanted children and children born out of wedlock, and/or without fathers, and/or into poverty ARE more likely to commit crimes once they reach that age bracket.

3. The timing of the begining of the steady drop in crime corrosponds perfectly with the legalization of abortion some 18 years earlier.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Folks, please read the entire article before responding, OK? LOL

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
Very thin ice I would say. There are so many factors involved in determining the the crime rate that I can't see how anyone can definitively declare that this study proves causation unless you are consciously reaching for that answer. At best, this study does not disprove an abortion-crime linkage.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< Very thin ice I would say. There are so many factors involved in determining the the crime rate that I can't see how anyone can definitively declare that this study proves causation unless you are consciously reaching for that answer. At best, this study does not disprove an abortion-crime linkage. >>

No one did claim causation. Only a very compeling correlation.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001

<< No one did claim causation. Only a very compeling correlation. >>

True, and I wasn't accusing anyone of doing so, but you did ask for our &quot;thoughts&quot; and mine are that anyone who can draw a definitive causal relationship from that study probably has an ulterior motive. :) I am not saying that there is no link between abortion and crime, only that I would need more than a single study to convince me of it.

And yes, I did read the paper. ;)

ASK THE COMMUNITY