Abortion debate to once again be re-debated in Supreme Court. Probably wednesday.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Specifically the Mississippi case.

I am betting they side with the anti-abortion camp this time (the people who refer to themselves as Pro-Life). Good or bad, seems to be the direction this country is heading. And I bet regardless of how it turns out, the Pro-Life people will probably stage some kind of rally or celebration complete with AR-15's and plate carriers.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think this will be a good indication of how biased/politicized the court is. If it’s anything but pro choice then we are in trouble.

Reactions: TheVrolok

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Nah they’ll side with sanity this time… they sense the pitchforks

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Meh.. SCOTUS has no powers to repeal the 14a, or to upset over a century of legal precedent WRT the 14a, and the argument that TX is pushing, that the use of citizens as de facto law enforcement allows the state to violate Constitutional rights via a 3rd party, is without merit.
So it'll be interesting to see what happens, but I would not count on a decision that will be satisfactory for either side.

Hopefully, this whole debate can be transcended beyond just the limited scope of abortion or womens rights, and the People can be helped to see the rights to bodily autonomy that the Constitution guarantees for all. And that Roe v Wade was the affirmation of those rights, not just for pregnant women seeking an abortion, but for everyone.

But nah, who am I kidding? The "pro-lifers" are going to cheer the SCOTUS decision that will grant govt the power to forcibly vaccinate them.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Nah they’ll side with sanity this time… they sense the pitchforks
I don't know. There is pitchforks in both directions, while the majority does not want Roe v Wade overturned, the minority is very, very fanatical.

It is worth remembering that a number of the Justices sitting in that bench were chosen for the very purpose of overturning Roe v Wade. They are true believers and will side with any argument that gets that accomplished. The fact that they did not at least put a hold on the Texas law tells us that.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Meh.. SCOTUS has no powers to repeal the 14a, or to upset over a century of legal precedent WRT the 14a, and the argument that TX is pushing, that the use of citizens as de facto law enforcement allows the state to violate Constitutional rights via a 3rd party, is without merit.
So it'll be interesting to see what happens, but I would not count on a decision that will be satisfactory for either side.

Hopefully, this whole debate can be transcended beyond just the limited scope of abortion or womens rights, and the People can be helped to see the rights to bodily autonomy that the Constitution guarantees for all. And that Roe v Wade was the affirmation of those rights, not just for pregnant women seeking an abortion, but for everyone.

But nah, who am I kidding? The "pro-lifers" are going to cheer the SCOTUS decision that will grant govt the power to forcibly vaccinate them.

I hope this argument is made in the court. Conservatives would lose their shit upon the realization.

Reactions: shortylickens

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Texas law will eventually be shitcanned due to its absurd mechanism and a Dobbs decision will essentially make the aim legal anyway by letting states restrict abortion so far as to practically outlaw it. Maybe even let them go all the way. We'll see.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Instead of judges re-interpreting the law every few years, what we actually need are congressmen with balls. They need to finally pass an amendment that protects abortion as a constitutional right. Or outlaws it completely.
But because they would rather collect a paycheck than actually do their jobs, it will never happen. None of them wants to get voted out of office and its easier to kiss a voters ass than do something he actually needs.