abnormal behaviour of nb

polarbear6

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2008
hey i have the following configuration

now the thing is my e8400 requires 1.41 volts of vcore to make it through the stress test

something which i dont like as i feel anything above 1.4v is dangerous for a 45 nm
so iam running it at 1.35 v

but the problem is it sometimes gives me blue screens the number of blue screens i get is directly propositional to my fsb volts

that is more the fsb volts more will be the instability :eek:

now i want to know why the f is this so

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ganesh1
that is more the fsb volts more will be the instability :eek:

now i want to know why the f is this so

It means your NB is overheating and when you increase the volts it heats up even more quickly.

You need to cool your NB better, or use less voltage.

polarbear6

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2008
woow i never knew parts even wine in that way

i mean i always used to think blue screens are always because of under volting
well how bad is 41c for the north bridge

i have a ocz vendetta 2 so i cannot accomadate a fan on the north bridge

polarbear6

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2008
this whole thing it just feels like organic chemistry (yuck!!) i mean whats the difference between cpus and alkyl chains both want stability
both need to posses as low energy as possible(cpu's are better off wid lower volts i mean joules) both get destroyed by heating

u add something to them and the chances are high that they get destabilized hell we need a PHD to correctly analyze these bloody blue screens

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
this whole thing it just feels like organic chemistry (yuck!!) i mean whats the difference between cpus and alkyl chains both want stability
both need to posses as low energy as possible(cpu's are better off wid lower volts i mean joules) both get destroyed by heating

u add something to them and the chances are high that they get destabilized hell we need a PHD to correctly analyze these bloody blue screens

No PhD needed, a simple BS in chemistry will provide ample understanding of the basic physics of the chemistry involved in the systems you referenced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activation_energy

i mean i always used to think blue screens are always because of under volting
well how bad is 41c for the north bridge

You think under-volting because it means the signal (volts) is to low relative to the noise (thermal fluctuations).

To increase the signal:noise ratio you naturally increase the signal. But increasing the signal will also increase the noise (more voltage = more heat) so you will go nowhere unless increasing the signal (voltage) provides disproportionate increases relative to the accompanying increase in noise (heat).

This is why lower temps when overclocking is always desired. Lower temps means less noise means higher clockspeed for any given voltage.

Is 41C bad? Its apparently bad enough. Your NB is likely hotter than that, those NB temp monitors are really not very good.

i have a ocz vendetta 2 so i cannot accommodate a fan on the north bridge

As we say in the US, just ghetto-style yourself a small fan with wireties or rubberbands or zipties into position in the general area so it is moving some air directly in the area of your NB. Does not have to look pretty to get the job done.

polarbear6

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2008
As we say in the US, just ghetto-style yourself a small fan with wireties or rubberbands or zipties into position in the general area so it is moving some air directly in the area of your NB. Does not have to look pretty to get the job done.

well when the heat sink gets heated up will the rubber band burn down or any thing like that might happen so is it safe ?

and secondly do they sell any thing less than 80mm fans or 90 mm fans
cause i dont see much room there

and what the north bridge volts should be like i mean any range
:p

and thanks for the quick replies friend:p

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
well when the heat sink gets heated up will the rubber band burn down or any thing like that might happen so is it safe ?

Personally I use zip-ties. Not sure what will happen with rubber bands, I've just read of people using them before without problems.

and secondly do they sell any thing less than 80mm fans or 90 mm fans
cause i dont see much room there

They do sell 60mm and 40mm fans but the point is not to have the fan sitting on the NB heatsink, but rather the point is just to get something pointed towards the heatsink so there is a lot more air specifically moving over it.

When I had NB overheating issues (680i mobo) I used what I had at the time, a standard 120mm case fan, and I suspended it from one of the rails in the upper part of my case so that it blew air towards my NB. Worked like a champ but was not elegant by any means.

and what the north bridge volts should be like i mean any range

Try the fan and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then try taking your NB voltage down just a tad at a time. If none of that helps then you can remove the fan entirely (because then you know it is not helping) and try finding out the instability elsewhere in the system. I don't know the NB voltage range off the top of my head, it has been a while since I changed my BIOS settings.

polarbear6

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2008
Try the fan and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then try taking your NB voltage down just a tad at a time. If none of that helps then you can remove the fan entirely (because then you know it is not helping) and try finding out the instability elsewhere in the system. I don't know the NB voltage range off the top of my head, it has been a while since I changed my BIOS settings.

no i mean whats the temperature range i mean like for a cpu it should well within 72c :p

well tmrw i will try to order a 60 mm fan off the ebay