Abit Sloket !!! & BX6r2 BIOS settings confusion?

Cuch

Oct 14, 1999
I'm confused as to whether the motherboard or sloket settings take precedence. For FSB and voltage, is it the BX6r2 bios settings, the Sloket or both? Thanks in advance.

KR

Oct 9, 1999
The slocket settings are recognized in the default mode (as if it were a slot1 CPU) until you change to "user defined" in the bios. You do need to set the slocket jumpers to identify the device as being an FC-PGA if your are using a PIII or CII. I've only used the IWILL SlocketII which allowed leaving jumpers at a default setting to allow the CPU to determine Multiplier, FSB and Voltage. Once the device came up at the chip's default (or whatever the BX6 thought it was) I could then modify things in the bios.

If you want, you can select the correct voltage, FSB and chip type on the slocket and start up with default (automatic) for the multiplier, FSB, Voltage and so on. Then when you choose user defined the bios settings will override the slocket.

Your main concern is that you don't want to start up with user defined settings for the wrong voltage - everything else sort of falls into place.

KR

Oct 9, 1999
A couple of tips on the BX6R2 (I have one).

If you haven't, flash the QR bios. It allows automatic set-up of up to a 700 MHZ PIII or a 633MHZ CeleronII. Higher speed CPU need to be set through the "User Defined" settings and are not "officially" supported - though they do work.

If you'e installing a PIII which defaults at higher than 700MHZ it will not be recognized correctly and you will need to use the softbios settings to configure multiplier, bus speed, agp ratio, and so on. Once you've configured it, it will report the correct speed at post.

I do know that the board will support a PIII-800E (Mine's runing at 936 MHZ) and have traded notes with some folks running 850E's as well. There are numerous reports of folks having success up to and beyond 1GHZ with a good overclocking CPU, good memory and FSB's up to and beyond 140.

Happy Overclocking!

Cuch

Oct 14, 1999
Indeed I have the latest bios installed. I'll be installing a Celeron 600a retail box, pack date 11/28/00 (that's like 3 weeks ago), on an Abit Sloket !!!, on an Abit BX6r2.

I've heard that the most recent Cely's have been manufactured using an improved method/process, enhancing overclocking possibilities as a result. Although not intended as such by Intel. It could be related to the now surfacing 100mhz FSB Celeron's. :)

9 x 100 = 900mhz for cheap... With fingers crossed, take care. I'll let you know my results.

Turbopit

Dec 17, 2000
Any new reports on how high people have taken this board? I am finally looking into replacing my 300A@504 with a faster processor.

Thanks

Cuch

Oct 14, 1999
Turbopit, a Celeron 600a will do you justice! I'm fond of retail/boxed processors as it assures me that the cpu has NOT been picked over because of NON overclocking capability.

It runs at, ([9 x 100] + Turbo mode enabled) = 927 mhz in my bx6r2 at it's default voltage of 1.7 volts! Turbo mode equates to a 103 mhz front side bus speed. I wish the motherboard was capable of one increment fsb settings which may have resulted in higher cpu speeds. But I will take what I have as it adds quite a bit of life to this Abit motherboard. There's a 14 degree farenheit difference in cpu temperature when overclocked versus it's default configuration. Not bad!