Abit KT7A

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Late January, Im looking at the Taiwanese manufacturers beating the Chinese new years for the release of KT133A boards.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Third week in January. Saw it on www.viahardware.com. I think the MSI Turbo is slated for a Jan. 4th release, so I think I'll go with that one instead. Shouldn't be buggy since it's just a new northbridge right? Also, anyone else thinks it kinda sucks that Abit, MSI, and Asus are all only releasing RAID versions? I'd never use RAID and would rather not pay the extra $20 or whatever.

soulm4tter

Nov 6, 2000
Abit is releasing the KT7A without a RAID controller. I bet MSI will also, its just a matter of finding it. At least MSI went with Promise controller instead of a POS Highpoint.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Highpoint on the KT7 RAID is top-notch, my man. Not a THING wrong with it.

Ricky
DesignDawg

joeryu

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
puhaha! desing dawg, i guess you havent read around the forums and/or have had experience with the highpoints, cause they are FAR from top notch. Some people they work fine, but its picky as hell to what hardrives you put on and what not. Highpoint is big time suck.

techg

Dec 30, 2000
i could never find a need for raid. it seems like too much trouble to configure, and if you screw up, it means loss of data. just not worth it for me. i do intend to buy a Abit KT7A as soon as it comes out, although the MSI board looks decent.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
<<although the MSI board looks decent>>

Decent is an understatement, MSI make better boards than Abit.

eugovector

Oct 26, 2000
I personally have a CD-ROM, DVD, ZIP, and Two Harddrives. I'm buying a raid board and, though I don't plan on running my drives in RAID, it will enable me to connect everything without running out of IDE channels. That in and of itself should be worth the $20.

BTW, I can't find that Jan 4th figure on the MSI Turbo. I am currently computerless and that is the board I am waiting for. How solid is that figure?

Thanks.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
LXi: I agree with you. I think MSI makes better socket A boards, and I used to be die-hard Abit hehe. I will probably get the MSI non-RAID board if it comes out within a couple weeks or so.

eugovector: That Jan. 4th figure isn't solid in the least. I got it on this forum and wasn't able to confirm it at any of the major VIA or MSI sites. I was going to e-mail MSI and ask, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Since MSI has it's specs and pictures posted well before the Abit board, I'd guess that it comes out before the Abit board in the 3rd week of Jan. anyway. Hope that helps.

techg

Dec 30, 2000
alright you guys have convinced me to reconsider which kt133a board im going to buy. whats really the better board as far as overclocking, stability, features...etc? abit or msi?

soulm4tter

Nov 6, 2000
Abit is just as good as MSI IMHO. Abits KT7 is a very stable and overclockable board. The stability is very good although the MSI may be a litter better from what Anand has said. I doubt you will have any problems with Abits KT7A Non RAID. If you're not going to use RAID, try to get a board without RAID. If you are going to use RAID, then i suggest MSI K7 Turbo with the Promise controller. All the benchmarks i've seen show the Promise controllers is much better than Highpoints RAID controllers. And many people have problems with Highpoint RAID controllers where Promise seems trouble free.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
techg:

I would recommend the MSI K7T Turbo, with excellent stability and overclockability, its got a Promise RAID controller and many other features, this is the perfect board for you.

Mark

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
And the MSI Turbo might be a bit cheaper than the Abit board as well.

ahfung

Golden Member
Oct 20, 1999
Not sure for KT7A, but Epox 8kTA3 is already selling everywhere in Hongkong now.