Abit KT7-RAID w/ Win ME

stebu

Oct 27, 2000
This is probably (hopefully!) a simple question, but they can't all be tough ones.

I'm going to be assembling my 900 MHz Athlon/KT7-RAID computer this weekend or Monday (depending on if my peripherals make the last UPS shipment) but I already have my CPU/motherboard. What has me slightly worried is that both the motherboard manual and the helpful hint handout from JNCS (where I got my motherboard bundle from) both mention installing the VIA 4 in 1 drivers as a very good thing. However, I'm planning on my machine running WinME as the primary OS, and the software on the CD, as well as the web site, don't mention the VIA drivers for WinME. Should I just stick in the Win 95/98 drivers, or does ME already incorporate what's necessary?

...thanks, steve

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
yes, you should be able to use the win98 4-in-1 driver for winme. from what i know, the driver is universal to all win9x, nt, 2k. For safety you can just d/l the most recent 4-in-1 here:

VIA 4-in-1

RM1

Oct 9, 1999
I only exprience SB live hiccups with the 4 in 1. The trick is to install the SB live drivers first, and then install the 4 in 1. Anyway, the 4 in 1 can be unistalled by running the same setup program.

I choose to skip the Bus Mastering part of Via's drivers. I'm skeptic about it, since I don't want a fast performer at the expense of high CPU utilization. I'm waiting for someone to do some benchmarking....or please point me to some site that has these reports.

My take on USB filter is that it is for Win95 OSR2 where USB drivers may not be installed. 98, SE and most likely ME will have installed the drivers. You won't see a difference under CP/System.