ABIT - IT7 : Intel ICH4 USB 2.0 Drivers Available ???

maverick24

Jul 5, 2002
HI,
I just purchased an ABIT IT7 and hooked it up. The ABIT install CD did not have the Intel ICH4 USB 2.0 drivers on it - instead pointed me to a website faq which indicated that they still didnt have the latest drivers.

I did a search on google and found a link to the drivers on Gigabytes site as well as Microsoft - i downloaded the drivers but and tried to install it - but I get an error code of (10) - device could not be started error.

Did I install the wrong driver ?? Does anyone have this similar problem ?

Has anyone successfully installed the USB 2.0 drivers on ABIT ???

Please post your results here....(Meanwhile I will check with ABIT tech suport and report back)

Thanks.

maverick24

Jul 5, 2002
OK - I got the URL to the Intel ICH4 USB 2.0 Drivers from Abit Tech Support:

Here it is for any one who may have the same problem:

Intel ICH4 USB2.0 Driver

This driver was released on April 8th 2002 and is version 5.1.2600.0 (for Windows XP)

I will update my system - hopefully this resolves my USB problems.

NOTE: One of the symptoms of this problem is the following error message when you plug in a high speed USB device to a USB port:

*** From the Microsoft Website ***

SYMPTOMS
You may experience any of the following symptoms:
Your Hi-Speed Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 device does not operate in Hi-Speed mode.
If you plug in a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 device, you receive any of the following warnings:

The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port.

HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB hub.
An Enhanced Host Controller Interface-compliant (EHCI-compliant) USB host controller appears in Device Manager with an exclamation point in a yellow circle, or with status code 28.

Here's the link: Microsoft USB 2.0 Support for Windows XP

maverick24

Jul 5, 2002
OK - this worked for me!!! :D

I downloaded usb2.0.exe off the website and installed it at home.

Its an Installshield packaged setup that setups the Intel USB 2.0 drivers and after restarting my machine everything works perfect!!!

Thanks to Jeff @ Abit Tech Support!

Brendon

Dec 24, 2010
OK - I got the URL to the Intel ICH4 USB 2.0 Drivers from Abit Tech Support:

Here it is for any one who may have the same problem:

Intel ICH4 USB2.0 Driver

This driver was released on April 8th 2002 and is version 5.1.2600.0 (for Windows XP)

I will update my system - hopefully this resolves my USB problems.

NOTE: One of the symptoms of this problem is the following error message when you plug in a high speed USB device to a USB port:

*** From the Microsoft Website ***

SYMPTOMS
You may experience any of the following symptoms:
Your Hi-Speed Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 device does not operate in Hi-Speed mode.
If you plug in a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 device, you receive any of the following warnings:

The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port.

HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB hub.
An Enhanced Host Controller Interface-compliant (EHCI-compliant) USB host controller appears in Device Manager with an exclamation point in a yellow circle, or with status code 28.

Here's the link: Microsoft USB 2.0 Support for Windows XP

The above post is no longer useful to those who wish to update their USB2.0 drivers of ICH4 intel chipsets, because websites where links point are no longer running.I couldn't find drivers on intels or abits website. If anyone still has the drivers please upload it somewhere and post a download link here.

Nov 20, 2009
Actually, if memory serves me right Abit CD simply tells you to use your Windows operating system Device manager to run Update Driver and search the Internet. I've done this quite a bit with XP and never had a failure doing so. Still, amazing that an 8 year old thread was pulled.