ABIT BH-6 Bios flashing problem... please HELP

BruNgoLD

Nov 14, 1999
from the motherboard forum, just hoping to get more info as to what I might be able to do...

Hey guys,

ok, here's what *stupid* me did..
I downloaded the bios update for my BH-6 board ("bh6_ss") and tried to flash my bios, since I need it for clocking my celermine 600. Anyways, I noticed it wasn't
responding after a while, I was probably too impatient to wait for more than 5 min with no activity. I exited after thinking it was done, and it started posting at 100 mHz, and then would hang after detecting the primary master device, before I can get into the setup
to change the cpu back to 366.

Is there anyway for me to fix this without spending $$ on a new board?
Can I get a new bios chip somewhere, cheap, and fast?
Or better yet, have some way for it to boot off the floppy so i can re-flash?

thanks alot guys

:confused:

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Did you try to boot from a floppy? Make a bare boot disk (no CD drivers or whatnot, etc.) and copy the awdflash.exe file and the BIOS binary to the disk. Write an autoexec.bat that invokes awdflash with the proper command-line parameters and save it on the floppy. Then try to boot from that disk - if you've been living clean it may work. But it probably won't, since it's "sticking" after IDE detection, and this trick usually only works if you get a blank screen on first reboot.

I had a BH6 BIOS go bad during a flash (they are notorious for this, BTW) and I ended up having to get a new BIOS EPROM. I guess Abit will sell you one for $10-$15 but I'm not sure how to get in touch with them. I bought my new EPROM from Russ at Compucheap for about $20 shipped. You might want to e-mail him and see if he has any left.

Good Luck!

BruNgoLD

Nov 14, 1999
EPROM, huh?
yea.. that is what I was looking for...
Is it hard to replace? it shouldn't be too hard, right?

Thanks again

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
It's easy to replace. Carefully pop the old one out with a bent paper clip, carefully press the new one in with your thumb.

Just post another message to this thread if you need more help.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Abit in California: 510-623-0500. They charge $10.50, shipped for a new bios chip.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Try reflashing it first, no point getting a new BIOS chip if the old one works. It doesn't look like you fried your old one since you can still POST. When I fried my old BIOS chip, it wouldn't even show anything at all. I had to get a new one from a local authorized Abit distributer. It costed me about $15-20. Also, the BH6 BIOS chip is socketed, and the chip is pretty flush with the socket, unlike many other motherboards which use the dual-inline package, so its quite a bit harder to take out. Be careful if you decide to take it out.

BruNgoLD

Nov 14, 1999
Abit finally got bak to me about the chip, its gonna be $12 shipped, so i guess its ok...

I tried putting in a BF6 in the meantime, and my sound card driver is giving me the BSOD (blue screen of death)
any ideas besides trying the updated driver? I have an SB Live if that helps.

thanks

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Goi - when I fried my BIOS chip, it would run up until the IDE detection sequence, then hang. So I guess they can fail in lots of ways. I got mine out easily - there's a hole in one corner of the socket where the tip of a paper clip will just fit in. I bent a SMALL hook into the end of a paper clip, and gently lifted the old chip out. The new one just pushes in with your finger. But make sure you are unplugged and for goodness sake be careful.