Aahh Frack! iOS 8.4 kills Bluetooth song searching with my car

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
All of a sudden, my iPhone no longer works in my car via Bluetooth for searching through the songs. It can play the songs, but I have to select them on the phone. Also via USB it does work, but it's more glitchy than it used to be.

Anyone else notice the same with their cars? My car is a Canadian 2012 Plug-in Prius with the Toyota multimedia system.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Mine started disconnecting on a regular basis (Bluetooth), including mid-call. '13 Civic. Incredibly annoying.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
It almost makes me wonder if they're doing this to promote CarPlay.

But then I'm reminded it may be related to changes that occured along with the new Music app, which I dislike.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

But then I'm reminded it may be related to changes that occured along with the new Music app, which I dislike.

I was excited about Carplay until I saw how bad it was. What I'd really like to see Apple do is implement a touch-capable mirroring system with resolution detection...i.e. plug it into a 7" 720p in-dash touchscreen, the app detects that it's a mobile touch-enabled screen, and adjusts the controls accordingly. Or you plug it into say a Vizio touch LED television, it sees that it's a 1080p set, and your game is now jumbo-sized with a touch interface. THAT would be cool because it'd allow the flexibility to do what you want, instead of being locked into special Carplay apps. Seeing as how you can buy an in-dash Android-powered double-din stereo for a few hundred bucks, it's not like there appears to be crazy regulations on these things, although Apple is probably going through the FCC or whatever branch of the government handles that stuff for approval.

I think that feature would be huge for gaming too...have them sell like a 90-degree-tiltable iMac-style touchscreen that you can dock your iPhone into for productivity & gaming. Give your kids a nice big touchscreen for learning apps. It could be pretty cool...

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

It's got to be the changes related to Apple Music. Even when I'm connected via USB I'm having problems.

For example, I have a Playlist which is "Purchased". However, if I select any song from that, only one song ever plays. Why? Because the only song on my iPhone 5s that is in the Playlist is that song. All the other songs are in the cloud, and therefore can't be played.

I got around this by signing out of the cloud. But even then, things are just generally more glitchy over USB than they used to be.

Oh and I generally just don't like the new interface of Apple Music. Apple has really screwed up this release IMO, and I'm not even talking about all the severe problems people have been having with Apple Music subscriptions. I don't have an Apple Music streaming subscription, and after reading about all the problems, I definitely won't be partaking, even for 3 months free.

Last edited: