aaarrrrggghhhh whats with all of the plain text resume submissions on the web?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I spent a significant amount of time putting my resume together and making it look nice. Its completely useless though because everywhere that I have looked online want you to type all of your crap into some stupid form or cut and paste everything into a box :| Stupid bunch of garbage.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Yeah, I hate that, too...but I'm fairly used to it by now. Good lord, I've applied to way too many jobs this summer.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Automated processing and database storage. Prepare to be de-humanized, worker unit!

Yep. If you fancy your resume up and we find it on the net and put it in our database, it'll look like crud and may be just about unreadable. Keep two versions - the txt one you put out on the net and the pretty one you'll send to recruiters after they first call you.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
Yeah man it sucks to have to keep formatting it for different sites. I started to make modular versions in plain .txt files where I can copy parts they want.

There's all sorts of flavors too, sometimes they want you to paste your experiences/education in one box and skills in another. Grrr but what are ya gonna do? Gotta be someone's b!tch if you want a job. :shocked:

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
it's a pain... i figure companies that cannot accept formatted resumes are using 'bots to scan incoming applications