Aaah! My Geforce-II GTS is on fire!

Vradna1

Jan 6, 2001
Well okay, not literally, but it may as well be.

I upgraded my video card from the old TNT2 M64 to a brand spanking new GF-II GTS 32meg. Everything seems to work perfectly until I actually try to utilise the 3d Acceleration part.

As an example, I booted up Giants: Citizen Kabuto, and bumped all the settings up to maximum. After all, it should support it now, no?

Everything worked fine for about 10 minutes, whereapon I'm assuming the card overheated and shut itself down. I had to wait a few minutes before the card cooled down enough to even let my poor PC boot up.

Unfortunately, now exactly the same thing is happening as I sit _here_ online. The Geforce is an advanced kind of card, I don't think it should have trouble rendering an IE5 screen, honestly.

So obviously my question is what's the deal, here? I'm running a PIII 800, so it isn't like the poor card is running faster than the CPU.. My powersupply seems fine, etc.

Could it be my motherboard? Unfortunately, motherboards are my blind spot knowledge-wise. I'm using a.. -looks up the manual-.. Octek Rhino VAP133-ACP, whatever the hell that is. Could this be the problem? www.octek.com looks like it's in Dutch, so that wasn't much help.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
One you may have a faulty card,two your motherboard may be the problem,& three try tweaking the BIOS like fastwrites off, all video shadowing disabled,try AGP 2x see if that helps, your problem is a little weird & I`ve never heard of that motherboard brand,you could also try the video card in another motherboard(a friends board perhaps)to see if it works ok.

:)

Vradna1

Jan 6, 2001
My system stopped booting totally a little while ago, no matter how much I cooled the useless card down, so I've just swapped it with my old M64 for now. It's a shame that the damn thing works better than the Geforce. It's never _ever_ overheated or given me the slightest problem.

And I couldn't find anything that even vaguely mentioned fastwriting or 'all video shadowing' in the BIOS. I DID find AGPX2 which was already enabled anyway, and something about the AGP slot Aperture size, which I left alone. Other than that, not much in there that even looked partially AGP slot related. Maybe that's the problem?

In comparison, my new PIII chip is screaming along fine. Wtf.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Might be worth the price & hassle of buying a decent new motherboard from ASUS or MSI,I`m sure your GTS card will run fine with one of these if it`s working correctly.

:)

Vradna1

Jan 6, 2001
Okay then.. without wishing to drift too off topic (Card still dosen't work, natch.), what motherboard would you folk recommend?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Your P3-800mhz is it slot1 or FCPGA type,if the later go with ASUS CUSL2 OR MSI 815E PRO(both Intel 815 chipset).The ASUS P3V4X is a very good slot1 board(Via chipset).

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Hey Vradna1, I got GF2 blues too.
I bought one of the 64 meg GF2 cards from 'Kormic' here on the For Sale forum almost two weeks ago.
It seems to me like some of the ram chips get real hot while others are cool. Not that it makes any difference, all I get is colored stripes all up and down the screen.
I too am running with my old TNT2 card now, I guess I'll see if their Waranty is good.