AAA rechargeable batteries, how do you make sure you aren't getting fakes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
One thing with AAs etc is that the non rechargeable ones are 1.5v per cell so devices designed for them expect that, while the rechargeables are 1.2 to 1.3v per cell. So even fully charged they often start at the "low battery" threshold of a device. Especially true for devices that take more than one in series as the voltage drop adds up.

Would be nice if they started to design devices to accept these lower voltages though. And yeah they also self discharge faster, but this could probably be solved with a small solar cell, especially for things like remotes.
Do solar cells work in Olds' basement though?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes, the remotes tend to "work," but not as designed. Press a button...it may respond? ...nowish? That's the issue.
I've always thought the issue when a remote doesn't get reliable response is mostly because it doesn't put out sufficient IR radiation for your device to pick up the signal. You know the cliche you see on TV of someone holding their remote at arm's length, pointing at their TV? Yeah, that, presumably because they've had lots of experiences with the TV not responding.

I have a 4K optical disc player in this room and it's like that. Very iffy and I doubt that putting alkalines in the remote would improve the very often frustrating performance. I should try. But my solution is to reach for my Harmony universal remote instead. I have Eneloops in that too, but never an issue... it puts out a LOT more intense signal than the Magnavox remote, which is a joke. I have similar success using my MX-900 and MX-700 universal remotes, which have 4 Eneloop AAAs in them. POWERFUL beam remotes. I don't have to think about pointing directly, they blast in a pretty wide beam.

Edit: Thing is, if a device asks for a lot of juice from an Eneloop, it delivers. So, if there's a decent charge on it, it should not be an issue. I test the voltage using either a multimeter or one of my La Crosse chargers. When it drops below 1.2 volts it's starting to be iffy. But the voltage does stay above that for a long time in the cell depletion curve.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One thing with AAs etc is that the non rechargeable ones are 1.5v per cell so devices designed for them expect that, while the rechargeables are 1.2 to 1.3v per cell. So even fully charged they often start at the "low battery" threshold of a device. Especially true for devices that take more than one in series as the voltage drop adds up.

Would be nice if they started to design devices to accept these lower voltages though. And yeah they also self discharge faster, but this could probably be solved with a small solar cell, especially for things like remotes.
I honestly can't remember any of my devices designed for AA or AAA not functioning with Eneloops.

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
Don't buy from Amazon 3rd party, Ebay, Aliexpress etc, stick to local stores or direct from Amazon. Marketplace sites like Amazon are full of fake stuff. Buying direct from Amazon is probably fine though, I have a bunch of Amazon Basics AA ni-mh cells myself though tbh I have not really tested them fully. I just like having them available. I try to avoid non rechargeables except for things like smoke detectors and TV remotes where the self discharge would be too fast vs how much power those things use. Wii remotes don't seem to like rechargeables either. One of these days I want to see if I can mod those to use a single lithium ion cell but then the voltage might be a little too high. I wish more products were designed around lithium ion cells to begin with, need to phase out disposable batteries.

NO.

Amazon comingles their inventory
When a load on true eneloops come in they go into the SKU xyz bin.
When a load of fakes come in from a 3rd party seller they go into the same bin.
What you get is the luck of the draw.

Reactions: manly

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Amazon comingles their inventory
When a load on true eneloops come in they go into the SKU xyz bin.
When a load of fakes come in from a 3rd party seller they go into the same bin.
What you get is the luck of the draw.

That's what I heard of too, that's why I said you're PROBABLY fine to buy direct from Amazon, but it's still a gamble. There is no need to be condescending.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I received my two 8-packs of Eneloop AAAs from Amazon yesterday. Haven't opened them yet. The packaging looks authentic, however I will give a close lookover for any tell-tale fakeroo characteristics. If they fail the authenticity test on any level I'll insist on a refund from Amazon, presumably sending the counterfeit cells back.

I also ordered a 4 pack of LADDO AAs and 3 4-packs of LADDO AAAs from Ikea online. Same $6.99 price for each, but there's a $5.99 shipping fee. Still a good deal for what appears to be essentially Eneloop Pro's. Reviews I've seen for the LADDOs indicate that you are not apt to find them at Ikea B&M, customers sweep them off the shelves. You can get them at Amazon and Walmart, but at more than double Ikea's price.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
As I said in a recent post, it's not that buying Eneloops on Amazon is risky business (as attested to by some reviews). It's that "ships and sold" by Amazon.com is no guarantee of authenticity. See above, Jon-T explained it.

The Ikea batteries are very good from all the reviews I have seen. Here is a review after 1year of use (AA though):
Which AA Rechargeable Battery is Best after 1 Year? Let's find out! Eneloop, Duracell, Amazon, EBL - YouTube

The Ikea ones are up there with the Eneloops. The Chinese brands are junk.
Took nearly 30 posts for this straight dope to come through. Note to others that brands like Duracell and AmazonBasics are Chinese cells too..

I received my two 8-packs of Eneloop AAAs from Amazon yesterday. Haven't opened them yet. The packaging looks authentic, however I will give a close lookover for any tell-tale fakeroo characteristics. If they fail the authenticity test on any level I'll insist on a refund from Amazon, presumably sending the counterfeit cells back.

I also ordered a 4 pack of LADDO AAs and 3 4-packs of LADDO AAAs from Ikea online. Same $6.99 price for each, but there's a $5.99 shipping fee. Still a good deal for what appears to be essentially Eneloop Pro's. Reviews I've seen for the LADDOs indicate that you are not apt to find them at Ikea B&M, customers sweep them off the shelves. You can get them at Amazon and Walmart, but at more than double Ikea's price.
Ladda were essentially normal stock items, but I think the pandemic has altered the supply chain. People now believe these are being discontinued, which is why some stores are OOS. Online they have been marked as "Last chance to buy" for a while now, and some store employees are telling customers they are not being restocked. My nearest store didn't have any last month, but currently shows plenty of the AA cells online...

That's what I heard of too, that's why I said you're PROBABLY fine to buy direct from Amazon, but it's still a gamble. There is no need to be condescending.
The word "NO" is condescending? Lol, relax! :tearsofjoy:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
IKEA in Carson had plenty of Ladda in both sizes, and these are apparently being closed out for $4 per pack. Check online for inventory if you have a nearby IKEA.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Took nearly 30 posts for this straight dope to come through. Note to others that brands like Duracell and AmazonBasics are Chinese cells too..

Not necessarily. I bought some Energizer rechargeables a few months back (was in a pinch, that was all I could get), they are made in Japan. They are OK so far. Check the package and reviews.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Not necessarily. I bought some Energizer rechargeables a few months back (was in a pinch, that was all I could get), they are made in Japan. They are OK so far. Check the package and reviews.
You're right again. My point is that one can't just buy a major brand and expect a quality cell; it depends on the origin in this case. Especially if you're buying online and can't inspect the packaging beforehand.

Now I sorta wish I had snagged more Laddas yesterday lol.