A8n32-Sli problem with Watercooling

rsb123

Jan 6, 2006
Hello,
I have a A8n32-Sli with two 74gb raptors and a 300Gb maxtor, two geforce 6800 ultra.
Amd athlon fx-60 and 2gb of corsair 3500LL.
I just bougth a Swiftech H220 APEX ULTRA PLUS wich comes with 1 waterblock for the CPU 1 for a chipset and one for the vga.
Since i have sli a got onther one for the other GPU.
My problem is where to put the chipset waterblock, as u know the a8n32-sli has a North And south bridge.
So wich one is more important???, Should i buy a second chipset waterblock or just forget about the chipsets and leave the factory?
Also iam not sure wich is the north and wich is the south chipset.
And if decide to watercolled either or both how do i do it with the current copper heatpipes?
one lkas thing iam not sure if one of the chipset can be watercooled because it seats underneath one of the geforce.
Lots of question, but no answers
PLEASE HELP....

frizzl

Apr 23, 2006
you will have to cool the chipsets, because when you take away the CPU fan they are no longer cooled

(the heatpipe carries heat from the chipsets up to the MOSFETS (thing next to cpu) then the cpu fan cools that also)

so, not sure, probably be best to get another waterblock for the other chipset...

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
presumably it's similar to the AN8 32X where the southbridge (it's really a complete nF4 chipset) does far more work than the northbridge (just handles 1 x16PCI-E) & hence gets far hotter.

nadirshakur

Nov 21, 2004
doesnt the board come with an extra a fan, to replace the pipes if u want, put the fan in the north and the block on the south for water, or the opposite if possible, this is all assuming the board does come with the fan i am talking about, otherwise i would honestly not bother with water cooling because no matter how u have the watercooling setup done, the voltage regulators loose, and they get hot!

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Judging from the design of this board, since the heatpipes travel through both the northbridge and the southbridge and end up near the processor on a heatsink, I figure your best results would be to cool the middle chipset in the line with the water block. Then place the asus watercooling-only chipset fan on the heatsink (near the CPU). This fan is pretty much silent, because it is intended to work with watercooling. This way you would have sort of a double bang cooling, one on the chipset itself, and one cooling the heatpipe.

According to motherboard specs from what I can tell, no matter what you need the chipset fan if your watercooling, to cool the mosfets and create airflow in that area of the processor. And honestly, the chipset fan is really quiet.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I would try it without the chipset block, then add the blower fan *supplied with the board* if needed.

I am watercooling this board without any passive cooling on the chipset, although I do have really good air circulation in that area from the casefans *Silverstone TJ-07*.

I never really noticed a big delta in temps either way. Aircooled CPU SI-120, water with blowerfan, water without the chipset, etc. They all load out around 40-42.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Do not replace the factory chipset coolers/heatpipes. The A8N32-SLI Deluxe comes with a chipset fan specifically for this situation, that is placed on the heat-pipe radiator if you watercool the cpu.