A8N-E Fan and OC Issue?

MDTerp429

Sep 14, 2005
I've been reading the posts in this forum concerning the A8N-E. Trying to decide between that, the EPOX EP-9NPAJ (or 9NPA+Ultra), and MSI KN8 Neo4-F. It has been said that rev 2.00 of the ASUS board has the chipset fan replaced and it is much quieter now. Can anyone here vouch for this? Also, can anyone attest to the "bios flash" resolving the issue of the HTT multiplier appearing to be "stuck" at 5x?

I'm interested in the ASUS because this rig will be for my brother who will most likely not replace his computer for quite a few years and from what i understand ASUS is supposedly reliable cuz they use quality parts. I am considering the MSI and EPOX boards because they are *grins* cheaper and seem to still be good. Also, the "extra" features of the nF4 Ultra are not really necessary for my bro. For example, the SATA II in the nF4 is nice upgrade path, i just don't think my brother would ever upgrade the hdd in the future to utilize SATA II. Unless i use an SATA II drive now (which i don't plan to), that feature is unnecessary. He also uses a router with a firewall, win xp sp2 with the firewall, and Zone Alarm so he probably does not need the nVidia firewall?

If someone could comment on the "known" issues of the A8N-E and if these issues have been properly fixed or at least a reliable work around, that would be appreciated. My brother will not OC the machine, but once I become more familiar with OCing, I may try to do a small OC just because *grins*. I'm interested in the long term stability and reliability of the board and the small OC potential. Since this is a family PC, the quieter the better...

O yeah, will pair it with 3000+ Venice and 1 GB Corsair Value Select (2x512 MB).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I can attest that the BIOS flash/load defaults trick worked to unstick the HTT multiplier on my A8N-E. You could also use BIOS version 1001 and that'll work as well.

nVidia's firewall didn't work properly for me, it kept on screwing up my downloads and such.

And while I did get the newer fan with my rev 2.0, I replaced mine with a Zalman northbridge cooler.