A64 to C2D upgrade question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I went from an AM2 5000+ @ 2.8 to a Q6600 @ 3.2 both with a 8800GTX and although I saw measurable increases in FPS @ 1920x1200 they wern't noticable at all in actual play in Vista or XP except for slightly faster level-loads, so if your only concern is gaming I would hang onto your cash for the moment.

Having said that its important to note that in EVERY other respect my new system absolutely leaves the old one for dead.

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Captante
I went from an AM2 5000+ @ 2.8 to a Q6600 @ 3.2 both with a 8800GTX and although I saw measurable increases in FPS @ 1920x1200 they wern't noticable at all in actual play in Vista or XP except for slightly faster level-loads, so if your only concern is gaming I would hang onto your cash for the moment.

Having said that its important to note that in EVERY other respect my new system absolutely leaves the old one for dead.

Gaming is the main use for this machine Captante, so your advice is great, thank you kindly.

I am so glad I started this thread because my decision has changed again. I was all for getting an E7200 and clocking it up to about 3.5Ghz. But after seeing all the responses here, I think I'll hang fire and wait for a better graphics card option.

One thing I will still get is the Corsair PSU, it may be necessary if I am to invest in a new card.

Thanks to all who have helped me here, this is such a great place for good and honest information.

:)

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Alienwho
Thread hijack time. I'm currently running an AMD Venice 3200+, Geforce 7900GT, 2Gig ram.

The upgrade itch has hit me, and i'm thinking of splurging on a C2D E8400 and Geforce 9600 + Ram + Mobo, I priced it out about a month ago and it came to about $500. Is that worth it? I'm willing to wait a few months if there is something good coming out around the corner, but if we're not going to see an increase for 18 months i'd rather just buy now.

<edit>

Now that I think about it, cheaper would be better, and all this E21xx talk i'm seeing is starting to win me over. Would it be decent to buy one of those and save $150? How fast would i be able to OC it compared to an E8400?

You can hijack away, I'm done with my decision on this one. :D

In your case, given that you're on a single core A64, I would certainly consider a bargain basement E2180/P35/cheap DDR2 combo. I've certainly noticed that some of my games like dual cores, and run nicely as a result.

Despite having used AMD chips for the last 8 or so years, I would have no hestitation in recommending an Intel set up to any gamer wanting a new build. Their chips are superb right now.

Manc

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
mancunian, just remember this: never upgrade your components until you require an upgrade. Some games are currently very dependent on CPU speed, but very, very few of them. And when it comes to computer gaming, you nearly always get more for your money by upgrading your video card first.

Originally posted by: mancunian
One thing I will still get is the Corsair PSU, it may be necessary if I am to invest in a new card.

That's a good choice. It's a nice PSU at a good price, and you're right, you'll most likely need it for the video card you'll be buying.

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Indeed, you are 100% correct. I guess I had the upgrade bug, this thing seems to have done me forever. But if it can go on, the cash would be wasted for the most part in getting a new rig.

:)

solog

Apr 18, 2008
Maybe you should just get the new monitor and see how your current computer works at 1680x1050

mancunian

May 19, 2006
Originally posted by: solog
Maybe you should just get the new monitor and see how your current computer works at 1680x1050

That's exactly what I'm gonna do.

I'm getting the PSU for future graphics cards, but also because this one sounds tired to me.

Manc