A young man beaten to death in NJ ***SIGN PETITION***

ConantheBarbarian

Nov 8, 2000
Sorry mods you can lock this if it is inappropriate.

This kid was just like us. We owe it to ourselves to
stand up against reckless violence like this. Please take the time to
read the article and sign the petition.

On the night of 27th Sept. 2003, Nabeel Siddiqui, 24, a recent graduate
of New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), and the only son of his
parents, was brutally and mercilessly beaten with a baseball bat by
three individuals, in the township of Orange, NJ. Br. Nabeel passed
away shortly afterwards due to his injuries.

Below is an article related to this tragedy...also..after the article
is a link to sign a petition...this petition is to make sure the 3
individuals whom were caught be tried as adults and not as
juveniles...please sign the petition. If you cannot access the
link...please send an email to iicnait@hotmail.com.

-------------------------
ARTICLE
Pizza man dies in hospital 10 days after beating with bat

Recent NJIT graduate dreamed of bringing his parents to the U.S.

Tuesday, October 07, 2003

BY KEVIN C. DILWORTH
Star-Ledger Staff

The 24-year-old Pakistani pizza deliverer who was beaten with a
baseball bat 10 days ago, died yesterday at University Hospital in Newark.

Nabeel Siddiqui spent 10 days in a coma after police say the Domino's
pizza employee was lured to Haxton Avenue, an upscale street in Orange,
by a phony order. Authorities believe three teenagers called in the
order so they could steal Siddiqui's 1995 Nissan Altima.

"I have no words for this," Osman Mohammed said after learning of his
friend's death. "It's just unbelievable that something like this could
happen.

"The reason he came here was to get an education, a nice job and have
his parents move here with him," Mohammed said. "In America, that's
where opportunity is. That's all he wanted to do."

Two 16-year-olds from Orange and a 17-year-old from Woodbridge are
charged with aggravated assault, robbery, possession of a weapon and
carjacking. The juveniles are being held in the Essex County Juvenile
Detention Center in Newark. The charges will likely be upgraded.

After graduating from New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark in
May, Siddiqui planned to use his bachelor of science degree in computer
science to get a good job and support his parents in Pakistan.

Siddiqui dreamed of bringing his parents to the United States to show
them the America that he had been enjoying, according to his cousin,
Asim Khan of Westchester County, New York. He wanted to do something
for
them in exchange for all they had sacrificed for his college education.

Pooling their resources, Siddiqui's friends came up with $2,500 to fly
Siddiqui's mother to the United States. She arrived Saturday.
Last night about 100 of Siddiqui's friends gathered at his Kearny home,
according to Omar Mohammed, Osman's brother. "We want justice to be
served, that's all," Omar Mohammed said.

"This crime was a deplorable act of senseless violence upon a
conscientious young man trying to better himself," NJIT President
Robert Altenkirch said. "Our hearts go out to his friends and family."

Richard Pompelio, chairman of the New Jersey State Crime Victim's
Compensation Board in Newark, said he will continue to work with
Siddiqui's family.

"We were on the phone Friday, and (yesterday) morning," Pompelio said.
"They (U.S. Embassy officials) said they were going to help us. Now, I
have this empty feeling. Such a sweet, innocent kid. He was like
everyone's son. We'll still do what we can to help out the family."

Kevin C. Dilworth covers Orange. He can be reached at
kdilworth@starledger.com or (973) 392-4143
-------------------
PETITION
Please click on the new URL for the petition:

Petition

Please, take a moment of your time and resign and pass it to your
friends and family.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
A terrible and tragic crime. They should be tried as adults. But I'm not one to register a petition for that. The courts will determine the proper course of action, not popular will.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Why a petition? this is a federal hate crime. Death by lethal injection is usually the result or at least life behind bars with no parole. 16 and you can be charged as an adult for federal crimes... Up to prosecutor.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize
A terrible and tragic crime. They should be tried as adults. But I'm not one to register a petition for that. The courts will determine the proper course of action, not popular will.
Absolutely right. But we can always hope that they're tried as adults. Might get second degree murder.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: rjain
Originally posted by: Zebo
this is a federal hate crime.
Where's the evidence that it is a hate crime?

Evidence is the motive. IF it's found to related to ethnicity vs. some real beef with the guy , which so far seems to be, they will wil charged with it. But your right I'm may be jumping the gun a bit.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: rjain
this is a federal hate crime.
Where's the evidence that it is a hate crime?

Evidence is the motive. IF it's found to related to ethnicity vs. some real beef with the guy , which so far seems to be, they will wil charged with it. But your right I'm may be jumping the gun a bit.

Authorities believe three teenagers called in the order so they could steal Siddiqui's 1995 Nissan Altima.
Motive (as evidenced to this point). Consider the gun jumped :)

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
I too agree that hate crimes laws are stupid.

They should be tried as adults and put to death.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
I don't think there is any indication in the article that this was a hate crime. I do, however, feel that the hate crime laws are useful. I feel much differently about a guy who comes home and shoots someone in bed with his wife than I feel about a guy who shoots someone because he's Asian.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Whitling
I don't think there is any indication in the article that this was a hate crime. I do, however, feel that the hate crime laws are useful. I feel much differently about a guy who comes home and shoots someone in bed with his wife than I feel about a guy who shoots someone because he's Asian.

Why? Aren't they both "anger" or "hate"? Why is one a "hate" crime but not the other? Just another example of how racism has been bastardized.

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Hate crimes were perpetrated for many years in the USA.

People forget it wasn't very long ago that lynch mobs left their "strange fruit" hanging from trees in America. Unbelievable.

There are hate crimes going on even today. I read about one recently on Staten Island NY where a girl visiting friends was attacked because she was black and her friends lived in a mostly white neighborhood. So don't discount the fact that these things still go on.

I've been following the case of the Dominos driver in NJ closely. This kid had just graduated with a degree in Computer Science from NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology). A very well respected college in Newark. He was working at Dominos while waiting for a better job. He helped his parents back in Pakistan. They relied on his aid. Good kid.

The teenagers who murdered him called in a fake order intending to steal his car. Pre-meditation.
They hit him in the head with a baseball bat, stole his car and left him semi-conscious in the street.

They should be tried as adults and if it aids the prosecution the charges should be brought as a hate crime. Anything to get the maximum for these murderers.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
CadGuy, I don't think we're going to be double dating soon. Do you realize that when you say "Murderers should always be tried as adults." that there is a value judgment in deciding whether someone is a murderer. That's why we have manslaughter. You can't really mean that anyone who kills someone else should be tried as a murder? Can you?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
CadGuy, I don't think we're going to be double dating soon. Do you realize that when you say "Murderers should always be tried as adults." that there is a value judgment in deciding whether someone is a murderer. That's why we have manslaughter. You can't really mean that anyone who kills someone else should be tried as a murder? Can you?

I think you have me confused with someone else who said that "Murderers should always be tried as adults". ;)

CkG

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
CadGuy. Yes, you're right. I have you confused with someone else. Sorry.

But, to answer your original question about whether there's a difference between murdering someone who's in bed with your wife and murdering someone because of an inherent characteristic. Not just race, but possibly nationality or sexual orientation. When I have to examine this, I feel differently about killing someone for an action and killing someone for a state of being. I'm not defending that as making good sense, but that's how I feel. The fact is that the majority of murders in the U.S. could be described as lowlife kills lowlife. The lives are not less valuable because of that but I feel more violated when someone is killed because of a characteristic rather than behavior.

I will admit that from as logical level as I can summon, it should be sufficient to try someone for their actions alone, without reference to whether those actions were motivated by hate. But I think it's beyond argument that our society and the criminal justice system do not treat all alike. The hooker who is raped doesn't get the same consideration as the city councilman's wife.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
CadGuy. Yes, you're right. I have you confused with someone else. Sorry.

But, to answer your original question about whether there's a difference between murdering someone who's in bed with your wife and murdering someone because of an inherent characteristic. Not just race, but possibly nationality or sexual orientation. When I have to examine this, I feel differently about killing someone for an action and killing someone for a state of being. I'm not defending that as making good sense, but that's how I feel. The fact is that the majority of murders in the U.S. could be described as lowlife kills lowlife. The lives are not less valuable because of that but I feel more violated when someone is killed because of a characteristic rather than behavior.

I will admit that from as logical level as I can summon, it should be sufficient to try someone for their actions alone, without reference to whether those actions were motivated by hate. But I think it's beyond argument that our society and the criminal justice system do not treat all alike. The hooker who is raped doesn't get the same consideration as the city councilman's wife.

True, but to give on "murder" the description of "hate crime" solely because it was a minority killed is silly. Murder is by nature "hate" and is a crime. I guess I'm just sick of all the racial pandering that goes on - "hate crime" designation being one of them.

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
There was a big thread on hate crimes back when that black guy was killed by being dragged from the back of a truck a while back. I think that was the first nationally well-known case. Or was it when that gay guy was targetted and murdered for being gay? I forget.

Anyways, I'm not sure how I feel about motive being considered in the punishment phase of murder trials. Sure, a lot of murders are the result of hate (someone mentioned a guy messing with your wife...although, even though technically it's the result of hate, I doubt it'd fall into the hate crimes categaory...would a jealous rage be the same as hate?), but take into consideration someone getting killed during a robbery...no hate there. Should motive (hate, greed, jealousy, etc) be considered when sentenced? I dunno. Should the guy who murders because he doesn't like gays be punished harsher than the guy who murders out of greed? The result is the same...death. So in effect, the person's punishment is being partially decided by the motive. Is that right? I dunno.

I guess I'm undecided on the issue.

I also think I have to stop using so many parenthesis (it makes it harder to read my post). ;)

DoubleL

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2001
Well I wouldn't sign anything but let the courts take care of it, A lot of times their is a lot more to it than gets printed, I am not saying this is the case and it saddens me to read it but I know a few of you might remeber the soldier that beat another soldier to death in the shower on a army base, Nobody but the army times, A news paper you only get if you are in the army or retired from the army added that the guy molested his son and left him, Well that is enough but none of the news or the papers added that