A warning about buying tires, especially buying from BJs

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
My mom's car has a tire leaking badly, asked me to look at it. Even though they have plenty of tread and seem to be only 2 years old they're cracking in the sidewall like older tires do. I took them to both Town Fair and Costco and got the same answer, they're not 2 years old, they're 5 years old and failing like tires that age do. No way to repair which is true of tires that are cracking because of rubber age. Shop around, check Town Fair, Costco, BJs and a few local places, find a set of Bridgestones from BJs cheaper than other places and place the order. The warehouse stores stock very few tires, mostly you order, they ship and then install. Got to the Tire Center and checked the tires to make sure they were the ones I ordered and read the information. The tires were manufactured in January 2015 and are approaching four years old. Holy crap, they have maybe a year of life left before they too start cracking in the sidewall. Of course I refused to have them installed and contacted BJs. Here's where the fun starts.

BJs absolved themselves of all responsibility. They claim it's not their fault because they don't carry 99% of the tires they sell in their own supply chain. You order from them, then they order from a distributor called Simple Tire LLC which ships the tires directly to your local club where they are installed by a BJs technician. Since they don't do anything except order and install it's not their fault if they're old. Address all complaints to Simple Tire LLC. So I did that, asking how it was possible that a set of tires that old can be shipped out by mistake and questioning their quality control. Their answer was truly astounding. They knew the tires were 3 years and 10 months old and shipped them to BJs anyway. That is company policy, it's how they operate. Anything less than four years old is "new" and even if it's already cracking in the sidewall it's "new". They buy up old inventory too old to be sold by ethical distributors and sell it themselves as a "new" tire since technically it's never been on the road. This is legal believe it or not. They claim, in a truly awe-inspiring display of buck-passing that BJs is the last line of defense and if they install a 4 year old tire then BJs is saying it's an okay product and they're accepting responsibility for the tires age. Went back to BJs, they admit they know how Simple Tire LLC operates and that Simple Tire LLC sends them four year old tires, but sticks to their original story that it's Simple Tire LLC who is responsible for the tires failing prematurely and potentially being unsafe since all they do is install.

This bothered me, so I've tried contacting some manufacturers whose product Simple Tire LLC sells as they claim to deal with 300+ brands. Got an interesting response from Bridgestone today. They know what Simple Tire LLC is doing and that they're supplying four year old Bridgestone tires to BJs to be installed as new on the cars of BJs customers and they flat out don't care. Since Simple Tire LLC is not an authorized distributor of Bridgestone Tires then Bridgestone will take no responsibility for their action and will do nothing to prevent Simple Tire LLC from tainting the supply of legitimately new Bridgestone tires being sold. When you walk into a store like Tire Rack or Town Fair or Firestones you have absolutely no guarantee that the tires being sold by that outlet are in fact new. They could be sourcing cheaper, old tires from Simple Tire LLC. Clearly, anyone that buys tires from BJs is a major idiot, but now I'm not sure where to buy them because every outlet could be buying from Simple Tire LLC. Unless you see the labels, which are easily switched, you have no way of knowing if that tire you got from Tire Rack is a new one that will have a five year lifespan or a four year old one that will fail in 12-18 months.

I went to the place that my mother got her "new" tires from 18 months ago to question if they knew why they were failing after so little time if they were in fact new. They showed me the paperwork on the tires. They were in fact legally "new" tires, but were at the time almost four years old. The source of those tires? Yep, Simple Tire LLC.

Don't go near BJs and demand to see the labels and paperwork on any tire you buy from any source. Don't trust BJS, don't trust Costco, don't trust Town Fair, don't trust Sears. This is one of the sleaziest businesses I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thump553

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Sorry to be dense but, who is "BJ's?"

BJs Wholesale Club, equivalent to Costco and Sam's. Some of their clubs have tire centers and frankly you'd be better off buying tires from two guys operating out of the back of a U-Haul under the I-95 overpass in Baltimore.

5419004.jpg

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
BJs Wholesale Club, equivalent to Costco and Sam's. Some of their clubs have tire centers and frankly you'd be better off buying tires from two guys operating out of the back of a U-Haul under the I-95 overpass in Baltimore.
I guess I've never run across them before.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
No need for a label which can be swapped - all tires are stamped with the manufactured date -

How to find the DOT number on your tires

If you look closely at the side of each of your tires, you'll see a bunch of letters and numbers. While this may just look like a confusing jumble, it's actually useful info. Look for a number that starts with the letters “DOT,” followed by a series of 10-12 characters. This code, which is required by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), will tell you several things:

• Week, year, and place of manufacture
  • Tire size
  • Manufacturer's unique code

For tires manufactured in the year 2000 – present
The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003. Pretty simple, right?

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes, you should be leery of low cost tires shops that don't stock what you want, and won't give you the date of the tire ahead of time.

There's no magical way to get the same tires cheaper unless you're (as the seller) buying old stock, or buying huge volumes which is obviously not the case or at least doesn't apply to yours when they have to special order them for you.

On the other hand I dismiss the idea that your tires are going to implode when 5 years old. Generally tires are a lot more likely to get sidewall cracks if you don't drive often so the rubber lubricants and protectants aren't working their way to the surface, especially if the vehicle spends a fair amount of time outdoors in sun. 5 years is more like a worst case scenario, a generic often-wrong number because nobody wants to be responsible for telling you a date too long if they can't see the tires in person.

Maybe look at different tires and consider some with low rolling resistance which have more silicone in them? Yes the traction is lower, but not so much compared to dry rotting tires in situations like wet or icy roads, so they're probably just as safe as dry rotting tires if you're not putting enough miles on per year to wear them out first. Plus, higher mileage life and higher fuel economy.

On the other hand, I do feel that tires over 2 years old should have around 30%/year retail price depreciation.

How many miles are on these tires? Is there any warranty left? If two shops state they need replaced, get it in writing and take it to where you purchased them, and ask about replacements that are not that old... might be taking lemons and making lemonade but some places do free mounting and balancing on tires replaced under warranty. Can't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I guess I've never run across them before.

It's like a mini version of Sam's Club or Costco. Good prices on gas & a few other things, but the ones I've been to don't have nearly the selection that the other big-box club stores do.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Pretty shady, but sounds like a typical corporate shell game of "move the product & don't take responsibility".

Most people don't care. Also, those old tires have to go somewhere! ;)

Good job doing your homework though...I think I'll take them off my tire retailer list now, lol.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Regardless of who you buy from, even dealers, ALWAYS check the date code on your new tires.

HarryLui

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
One time, I bought 4 tires online. 3 tire were made 1 year ago, the 4th tire was made 6 years ago. I was mad. Always check asked to check the tire's date BEFORE allow them to be put on your car. Takes you all 1 minute to check the dates before wasting $$$.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I bought tires for my Z06 from Simple Tire -- date codes were spectacular...like 3-9 months old across all of them.

They do sell up to 4 years old, though, which is unacceptably old IMO.

What are the DOT codes on your tires?
All SimpleTire suppliers only ship tires with DOT dates that do not exceed 4 years. If you receive a tire with a DOT date of more than 4-years from the date of purchase, you may return it and we will pay the return shipping costs. For any tire with a DOT date that is less than 4-years old from the date of purchase, you may return it, but are responsible for the return shipping costs. Any tire that has been mounted is NOT eligible for a return.

https://simpletire.com/faqs

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Geez, I used to buy my tires from BJ's. Gave up on them when they sheared off two studs on one wheel and wouldn't do anything about it.

Since then I've bought online from Tire Rack online, probably at least five sets of tires. Never checked tires before then but all the tires I've bought from Tire Rack haven't been more than four months old.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This is why things like Mileage warranty and road hazzard warranty exist. Sidewall splits and you get a new tire. Course it's always better if you have a local place you buy from and can get personal service for this.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
This is why things like Mileage warranty and road hazzard warranty exist. Sidewall splits and you get a new tire. Course it's always better if you have a local place you buy from and can get personal service for this.

It's one thing for these tires to go on a normal daily driver where the annoyance is something like a cracked sidewall. The far bigger concern is aged tires on high performance cars. In cars with rare tire sizes (older sports cars for example) the tire manufacturers may not make the sizing regularly. They'll do a run and then they will just sit aging in inventory until the stock is depleted and maybe if they think there's enough demand they'll do another run. I once had 4+ year old tires delivered to an installer (I rejected them). Thankfully they managed to find me a more recently made set but old tires in inventory are a very real problem for a lot of fun cars. That and the decade old 500+ HP cars with original tires on them because they only have 4,000 miles. That's a really good way to die unless you are absolutely spot on with your throttle input Every. Single. Time.

Viper GTS

Feb 25, 2011
That and the decade old 500+ HP cars with original tires on them because they only have 4,000 miles. That's a really good way to die unless you are absolutely spot on with your throttle input Every. Single. Time.

Isn't that what happened to the Fast & Furious guy?