A Video Card Manufacturing Question?

jojo29

Apr 23, 2005
Ok, i recently purchased an ATI 4850. Haven't been able to play it because im building my new rig, one piece at a time, because as you can tell from my signature, it's about that time. The reason i went with ATI, is im familiar with their Catalyst Driver format and software, and just don't want to learn a new format/software. No loyalty issues, if i would have went with NVidia, i would be saying the same thing, so i don't really have a preference, it's more i'm too lazy to learn how to install a new set of drivers/how they act if they are buggy, i just know how ATI's work is all.

I have a fairly simple question, it's not your typical is ATI better than NVidia question, but more of a which manufacturer is the best for each company. Actually, the ONLY thing i don't like about NVidia, is i can't buy a NVidia built from NVidia, and from what i recall i think that's the reason why i went with ATI, becase i wanted to get an actual name branded card, go figure huh lol.( Yeah i didn' t know much about the build it yourself computer industry at the time, so i bought parts like i would a car, buy from name brand quality companys lol go figure)

Now my question is, If i am buying an ATI Card ( aside from ATI ) who would be the top 3 manufacturers for ATI cards? Sapphire? MSI? Are the Asus ATI Cards any good?

ATI Manufacturers

1.Visiontek
2. HIS/ASUS
3. MSI/Sapphire/Powercolor

Now, if im am buying an NVidia Card who would be the best 3 manufactures to buy from? Leadtek, XFX?

1. EVGA
2. BFG/XFX

I ask also because although i bought my card already, my brother is in the process of upgrading as well, and i just want to steer him in the right direction to the "best" :) hope you guys can help

Fattysharp

Nov 23, 2005
You will get different responses from different people. ATI cards are usually always reference design. This means nearly every model is exactly the same. There are some exceptions.

for me it would be ..

ATI
1. Visontek (best warranty)
2. HIS or Asus
3. Diamond

Nvidia
1. EVGA
2. XFX
3. Anyone else, depending on price.

jojo29

Apr 23, 2005
thank you, yeah i figured i 'd get different responses but i always figured i should see some type of pattern of a top 3 :) anywhoo thanks for your input

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
I mostly agree with the above, except I would go:

Nvidia
1. EVGA
2. BFG
3. Anyone else, depending on price.

jojo29

Apr 23, 2005
Ok damn i left out one company on the ATI side of things: ATI themselves. Where would they fit in this list:

ATI Manufacturers

1.Visiontek
2. HIS/ASUS

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: jojo29
Ok damn i left out one company on the ATI side of things: ATI themselves. Where would they fit in this list:

ATI Manufacturers

1.Visiontek
2. HIS/ASUS

ATI no longer sells cards with their name on them. But, the entire time they did, Asus was the manufacturer of the "ATI" cards. BTW, Asus would be my #1 choice of ATI cards, except they don't have a lifetime warranty, like Visiontek does.