A Vatican Shot Across the Bow for Hard-Line U.S. Catholics

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Thought this was an interesting read and stance by the Vatican. They are basically calling out the hypocrisy by so-called Christians/Catholics when they side with many of the current administrations policies and still hiding behind a veil of "Christianity". I especially like the bit where they equate then to be "jihadists" in their own right.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/...rvatives.html?referer=https://t.co/HCw3r99Maz

VATICAN CITY — Two close associates of Pope Francis have accused American Catholic ultraconservatives of making an alliance of “hate” with evangelical Christians to back President Trump, further alienating a group already out of the Vatican’s good graces.

The authors, writing in a Vatican-vetted journal, singled out Stephen K. Bannon, Mr. Trump’s chief strategist, as a “supporter of an apocalyptic geopolitics” that has stymied action against climate change and exploited fears of migrants and Muslims with calls for “walls and purifying deportations.”

The article warns that conservative American Catholics have strayed dangerously into the deepening political polarization in the United States. The writers even declare that the worldview of American evangelical and hard-line Catholics, which is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, is “not too far apart’’ from jihadists.

It is not clear if the article, appearing in La Civiltà Cattolica, received the pope’s direct blessing, but it was extraordinary coming from a journal that carries the Holy See’s seal of approval. There has apparently been no reprimand from the pope, who is not shy about disciplining dissenters, and La Civiltà Cattolica’s editor has promoted the article nearly every day since it was published in July.

The article and the backlash to it — accusations of anti-Americanism have been rife, and one prominent American prelate likened the authors to “useful idiots” — have highlighted the widening distance between Francis and American Catholic conservatives.

Since the 2013 election of Pope Francis, conservatives have worried that he has given short shrift to the social issues that have animated them, among them abortion and same-sex marriage. They have sat through his warnings to steer clear of politics. They have watched warily as Francis has installed pastors in his image while sidelining conservative leaders.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Thought this was an interesting read and stance by the Vatican. They are basically calling out the hypocrisy by so-called Christians/Catholics when they side with many of the current administrations policies and still hiding behind a veil of "Christianity". I especially like the bit where they equate then to be "jihadists" in their own right.

Fantastic. I've talked to so many people in my parish that support him and his idiot anti-immigrant policies (despite the majority in our parish being Hispanic). The Vatican has been unwavering in their support for immigrant/refugee rights.
Ditto for his attempt to cut healthcare for the poor, which they are also firmly against.

Reactions: Homerboy

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The Vatican needs to get its own house in order before calling out anyone else for anything. As long as they're condoning pedophilia and sponsoring genocide Trump's view on immigration is hardly the biggest problem that needs to be addressed.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm an atheist and I love Pope Francis.

Ditto. Still could go further, but hey its progress right.

What I do find funny is that my GF's family are all very Catholic and avid Trump supporters. They are actually siding more with Trump than with the Pope which says a lot sadly.

Jan 25, 2011
And the Christian Right response will be the pope, you know, Gods representative on earth, is wrong and needs to be replaced.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
All of a sudden, Intellectuals now care about Religion interjecting itself into Politics...supah surprised, supah!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I've always wondered how good God fearing Christians have managed to reconcile Trump's mean spirited, hateful and divisive rhetoric, his braggartly blatant reference to violence as a means to overcome conflict or obstacle, his sexist attitude, his incessant lying and his nasty habit of pointing at people with his chin with the obviously contrasting principles and tenets found in the good book that guides their way to heaven.

A mystery of ages it seems.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I've always wondered how good God fearing Christians have managed to reconcile Trump's mean spirited, hateful and divisive rhetoric, his braggartly blatant reference to violence as a means to overcome conflict or obstacle, his sexist attitude, his incessant lying and his nasty habit of pointing at people with his chin with the obviously contrasting principles and tenets found in the good book that guides their way to heaven.

A mystery of ages it seems.

I didn't vote for Trump. But I would imagine my fellow Christians reconcile his nastiness on the basis that the alternative was Hillary Clinton.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I didn't vote for Trump. But I would imagine my fellow Christians reconcile his nastiness on the basis that the alternative was Hillary Clinton.

At least she has a pussy all trump can do is try and grab them.

Reactions: Pick2

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

I'd love to hear this rationalization...
Why is Trump a better Christian vote than Hillary in a Christian's eyes?

Reactions: Perknose

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I'd say this is more about religion calling out hypocrisy in it's own ranks.

I'm not sure what is hypocritical about Christians of one country wanting people of another country to enter, and stay, in their country legally. I mean, imagine if everyone that wanted to jumped the fences at the Vatican, strode right into the archives, and said, Hey, no need to forcibly keep us from doing this you religious hypocrites, we're just doing research the Vatican won't do!

Somehow I'm going to take it on faith that the Vatican wouldn't like that...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Hillary, the woman who honored her marriage vows, that Hillary? As opposed to Trump? It takes a mighty big hammer to pound those square pegs into those round holes. For reference, this is easier…

Baby-Toys-Shape-Sorting-Cube-Classic-Educational-Wooden-Toys-For-Children-Intellectual-Toy-Geometry-Box-Birthday.jpg

Reactions: Perknose

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
So Christianity is about adhering to borders? I thought there was more to it, and I echo tweaker2's post in wondering how Christian people voted for Trump...he seemed to be the least Christian Republican candidate.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hillary, the woman who honored her marriage vows, that Hillary? As opposed to Trump? It takes a mighty big hammer to pound those square pegs into those round holes. For reference, this is easier…

Baby-Toys-Shape-Sorting-Cube-Classic-Educational-Wooden-Toys-For-Children-Intellectual-Toy-Geometry-Box-Birthday.jpg

I keep thinking of that word "hypocrisy"
It's quite telling that some can't even see it and acknowledge it.