A thread for the athiests: if there was a god, what would s/he (or it) be like?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: vi_edit
What's with the deluge of the God/philosphy questions recently?

Recently? I've been seeing religion threads ever since I originally joined this forum back in '00 under a different name (no, I wasn't banned, I just stopped coming here).

Did your parents ever tell you the circumstances of your conception? 31 Off Topic HotChic 01/18/2004 6:53 PM
A thread for the athiests: if there was a god, what would s/he (or it) be like? 19 Off Topic HotChic 01/18/2004 6:53 PM
What would the world be like now if there was never any religion? No (knee) jerk answers 34 Off Topic HotChic 01/18/2004 6:48 PM
What's the impetus behind your morality? 52 Off Topic HotChic 01/18/2004 4:54 PM
What are your dreams for your life? 38 Off Topic HotChic 01/18/2004 4:12

Nostalgic for how the forums used to be and decided to do some recreating instead of whining about it. Plus I found the potential of the answers I might get to be interesting.

melchoir

Nov 3, 2002
My god is a god of vengeance and horrors.. and action. My god is an indian that turns into a wolf... and ... The Wolfen will come for you with his razor.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
He'd be all like, "Dood you choose your own destiny. I'm just trying my best to keep the universe from collapsing upon itself into a square millimeter. Now you'll have to excuse me, Buffalo is playing and I have to make sure they lose."

Hands off, with an ironic sense of humour, and above all greatly amused by the idea that we all worry so much about our place in the world. We're nothing.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
if there was a god, and the world were the same, then the god is one who washes his hands of his work. indifferent. and well it shows.

if i were to choose how the god would be, then well... i'd choose one that only created people who could choose good choices. who at the very least did not allow natural forces to cause suffering. a god that didn't want self aggrandizing worship. and don't give me mumbo jumbo about how there can't be good without bad.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
if there was a god, and the world were the same, then the god is one who washes his hands of his work. indifferent. and well it shows.

if i were to choose how the god would be, then well... i'd choose one that only created people who could choose good choices. who at the very least did not allow natural forces to cause suffering. and don't give me mumbo jumbo about how there can't be good without bad.

It's called free will. Understand this concept, and you understand why G-d stays out of the affairs of man.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
how free is your will though. people are made up of a certain genetic makeup, our minds are wired a certain way, we experience life and learn to think in certain ways. you cannot deny this. we are not truely free as you'd think.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is the very question I refuse to answer. It is those who know who God is and what he is and should be like that are responsible for the death of millions and maybe billions. These are the people of ego, the people who need to control. They are the people of fear whose unconscious negative emotion leaks out in everything they do. We are the Krell who destroy ourselves via the Monster of the Id if you've seen Forbidden Planet. I think God can exist only when the personal me dies, only when 'I' am nothing. Thy will is my will and my will is Thy will and 'I' am All in nothing.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
I'm assuming that most of the athiests here would say that they are athiests because of the absence of logical proof in a god. If there WAS a god, what would you want that god to be like? What attributes/characteristics would you imagine that god to have? What kind of relation would you want yourself to have to that god? What kind of relation would you want other people to have to that god? Would s/he be a hands-off god, just letting stuff run like it is today? Would s/he be active in the world? Would you want the god to be omniscient and omnipotent or more human, limited in powers? You can make your god, in this imagining, benificient, indifferent, or even malevolent (though I don't know why you would) so you don't need to worry what they'd do with the omniscience or omnipotence, since s/he'd be incorruptable if you choose to describe him/her that way.

Christians (and followers of other religions, but Christians in particular), please don't stir up too much antagonism in this thread.

(I'm cleaning a crab so if I don't answer for a while, that's why - hands are covered in crab meat and shell. :))
He'd look like a crab and you'd be commiting a mortal sin right now!

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
That's kind of a silly question to me that I have no answer for. You may as well ask "If you were a slave in the kingdom of Zorbok ruled by many tentacled space lords, what color would your ankle chains be?". In my mind it's just as far fetched.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
This is the very question I refuse to answer. It is those who know who God is and what he is and should be like that are responsible for the death of millions and maybe billions. These are the people of ego, the people who need to control. They are the people of fear whose unconscious negative emotion leaks out in everything they do. We are the Krell who destroy ourselves via the Monster of the Id if you've seen Forbidden Planet. I think God can exist only when the personal me dies, only when 'I' am nothing. Thy will is my will and my will is Thy will and 'I' am All in nothing.
You know, outside of politics I find myself agreeing with you a lot more lately. Interesting overall views, I like them.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
This blasted thing never updated the page! Gave me 7 404 errors in a row and the 8th one tried to load for 1 minute before I just cut it off. Sorry.

MystikMango

Jan 8, 2004
This is a tough question for an Atheist to answer, since we believe in no gods or devine entities. But, I find that if I replace your use of the word god with Santa Claus or Fairy King, I can come up with an answer.

I'd like a Fairy King that was male, so he would be more emotionally balanced. I'd like a Fairy King that liked to set events in motion, but prefers not to intervene. I'd like a Fairy King that was confident enough in himself that he didn't require constant validation from his subjects or worshipers (mortals). I'd like a Fariy King that wouldn't mind paying my way into a nice strip joint, and buying the first round of drinks and dances. I'd like a Fairy King that would use my body to enrich the Earth after I died.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Zenmervolt, next time just agree with me seven or eight times. It makes for a good test as to whether I can resist it going to my head. Don't deprive me of the temptation. :D