A Thoughtful "Letter" to Mitt

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
One reader's comment to a NYT article about Romney's post election options:

Dear Mitt,

You're 65 years old, in good health & pretty well off. Perhaps you know the old adage that goes something like "It's never too late to learn." With that in mind why not take a sabbatical from the money trail, get away from your usual buddies for a while and try something really different. Pick up some non-discript clothes, find a 6 or 7 year-old Taurus - or Honda or Chevy or (you get the idea) & put $1500.00 in a checking account. Get yourself a credit or better still, a debit card which is linked to the above checking account. Withdraw $200.00 from the account & put the cash in your pocket, put the Blackberry in storage, kiss Ann & the kids good bye & tell them you'll be back in a month or so.

Get in the car & drive to the location of your choice - big, small, medium town. Find a place to rent for a month. Live on the money you've allotted. No cheating. All expenses for the month have to be paid with the $1500.00. You can use the credit card, but must pay the bill from the checking account. You've told us how savvy you are with financial matters so this should not be difficult.

You're going to want to do something with your time while you're away so why not apply for a job at some local establishment that pays $8.45 an hour or so. OK, it's a bit over the minimum wage, but you don't want to deny yourself too much. That'll be instructive too.

At the end of the month write about your experience. You might learn something about why the big job eluded you.

I bolded the last. It says it all.

Aug 14, 2001
It would be good for Romney to also work or live with more diverse people. He needs to understand America. It can be part of his re-assimilation into American culture and society.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
One reader's comment to a NYT article about Romney's post election options:
I bolded the last. It says it all.
Mr. Romney knows what it is to struggle. I was deeply touched by his tale of those dark days when he and Ann were so broke they actually had to sell some of the stock his dad had given him.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
IDK if Obama has or not but I'll take your word for it. Still does not mean him and all the others are not out of touch though.

He wasn't dirt poor, but he was raised very middle class.

There are degrees of being out of touch. Voters whose primary deciding factor was the candidate being able to relate to them broke for Obama 4:1.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
We could say the same about all the politicians including Obama.
When will you idiots understand this has nothing to do with Obama or all politicians?? The letter was written to Mitt....
Accept the fact you lost!

When a cop pulls you over for speeding do you say to the cop what about that guy over there...damn he is going fast?? No you don`t!! This is a letter to Mitt......

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
IDK if Obama has or not but I'll take your word for it. Still does not mean him and all the others are not out of touch though.
Again this is NOT about Obama......sheese..the letter was addressed to Mitt.....only fools do try to change the issue....

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
When will you idiots understand this has nothing to do with Obama or all politicians?? The letter was written to Mitt....

When a cop pulls you over for speeding do you say to the cop what about that guy over there...damn he is going fast?? No you don`t!! This is a letter to Mitt......

If people want to argue that person born rich shouldn't be President that's their prerogative. However, in Romney's defense the man is by all reports very bright, has worked very hard and been successful, and gives more money to charity than most left wing politicians who are so generous with other people's money. He was unquestionably given a head start in life but so have many others with far less impressive results.

I don't see the purpose in beating up at this point. It only serves to discourage other qualified people from entering into politics.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

'I' lost? LOL

I'm sorry brother, but 'we' lost and I'm also sorry you don't see it.

Before you go through a temper tantrum as youre known to do, I would hold the same view if the bad mr Romney was elected.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Again this is NOT about Obama......sheese..the letter was addressed to Mitt.....only fools do try to change the issue....

Actually its myopic people like yourself who refuse to see the bigger issue isn't just that ole Mittens was out of touch its also that our entire political system is out of touch. You go ahead and daydream whatever you want. My apologies for interrupting your dream state.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
That is cruel and unusual punishment. How can anyone live without a car elevator?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think Jesus offered the same plan to a rich man who wanted to follow Him and asked what he needed to do.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
His No. 1 priority, so far: establishing a system to organize the 400 résumés of those staff members whose paychecks will run out in 21 days.

Too easy... binders

Anyway it would be interesting to see him in the tech industry, in Silicon Valley. As much as I despised him as a candidate I do respect his business acumen

nk215

Dec 4, 2008
Didn't you know that Romney refused to take a salary for his 02 Olympic job? He also did not take a salary when he was governor either.

Can you name another politician who did the same?

Aug 14, 2001
Too easy... binders

Anyway it would be interesting to see him in the tech industry, in Silicon Valley. As much as I despised him as a candidate I do respect his business acumen

He wouldn't survive in Silicon Valley or the technology industry. He probably fits in more with Wall Street.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Didn't you know that Romney refused to take a salary for his 02 Olympic job? He also did not take a salary when he was governor either.
Can you name another politician who did the same?
Compared to his regular income those two salaries would have approximated a rounding error.