A thought on The Office (US)

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I was recently thinking about the fact that the creators of the Venture Brothers described the overarching theme of their show as "failure" -- and how all the characters fail in some way.

So, I was thinking about other shows with overaching themes, and it seems to me that The Office is one of them. The theme that I see? Cowardice. Every major character is a coward in some way, shape or form, at least in the way that they refuse to say anything to Michael's unintentionally offensive remarks. But it applies in other ways. Pam was a coward about getting married, Jim is a coward in talking to Pam, Michael is a coward when it comes to being 'the boss', Dwight fears loss of control.

I could go on, and perhaps this is an obvious conclusion, but I thought it merited a Friday morning post...

Thoughts? Am I off my rocker?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Toby always says something to Michael about his crazy antics and remarks.

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
I used to love that show. The whole Pam thing was a nice backdrop for it in the beginning but now they shove it in your face and that's what every episode seems to be about. I'd like to see them get killed off in the next episode so it can be funny again.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: So
So, I was thinking about other shows with overaching themes, and it seems to me that The Office is one of them. The theme that I see? Cowardice. Every major character is a coward in some way, shape or form, at least in the way that they refuse to say anything to Michael's unintentionally offensive remarks. But it applies in other ways. Pam was a coward about getting married, Jim is a coward in talking to Pam, Michael is a coward when it comes to being 'the boss', Dwight fears loss of control.

I could go on, and perhaps this is an obvious conclusion, but I thought it merited a Friday morning post...

You are off your rocker. People say things to michael about his behavior on a semi-regular basis. He just ignores them. Pam wasn't a coward about getting married. How is calling off a wedding to someone you don't truly love being a coward? Jim has directly expressed interest in pam several times and been rejected. What's he supposed to do, ask her every 30 minutes if she likes him?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: torpid

You are off your rocker. People say things to michael about his behavior on a semi-regular basis. He just ignores them. Pam wasn't a coward about getting married. How is calling off a wedding to someone you don't truly love being a coward? Jim has directly expressed interest in pam several times and been rejected. What's he supposed to do, ask her every 30 minutes if she likes him?

I'm not saying everyone is a coward all the time, just that all the major characters have character flaws of cowardice, which they sometimes overcome.

Ex. Jim's refusal to directly talk to Pam about his feelings for her, and w/ Pam, I meant her fear of leaving a broken relationship.

Basically, every character has been hurt in some way due to cowardice.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

I'm not saying everyone is a coward all the time, just that all the major characters have character flaws of cowardice, which they sometimes overcome.

Ex. Jim's refusal to directly talk to Pam about his feelings for her, and w/ Pam, I meant her fear of leaving a broken relationship.

I don't think you understand. I'm driving you out to the beet farm for some training.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

I don't think you understand. I'm driving you out to the beet farm for some training.

:laugh:

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
I would think the main theme was the "mundane and normal"

Everyone in the show although they have certain quirks are totally normal in that they aren't overly talented at anything that they do.

**EDIT**
The show bases its humor off the fact that these normal people do extreme things to try to make their life look less mundane. Those extreme things tend to be quirky and silly.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: torpid

I think Jim didn't want to talk to her about his feelings for her because she was engaged. Out of respect, not fear.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
the only thing i dont like about that show is theres too much jim/pam bullshit.. its a comedy, not a chick show

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Jim has already talked with pam about his feelings for her. I honestly have no idea why you think that he is a coward. Like I said, he told her how he felt, she did not reciprocate. Why would he bring it up again?