A thought about the Tidal Wave

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mount Vesuvius, Plague, Small Pox, War (indirectly so), etc...

you ever think this is natures way of dealing with imbalance?

It is a tradgedy, and I do feel so very sorry for all those afflicted, but who knows?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Im not sure, but there have been even worse disasters before humans came along. There have been huge disasters hundreds, thousands of years ago that happened even when the world wasnt that overpopulated.

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
i've also pondered this possibility. but that would require the belief that nature "knows" about the state of humanity.

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT
earthquakes happen all the time in a geological time sense
there will be more

Yup... it's just something that happens... I dont belive in "Natures way" to clean things up, get rid of people, etc... It's just a disaster that's very unfortunate...

artikk

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2004
Originally posted by: y2kc
i've also pondered this possibility. but that would require the belief that nature "knows" about the state of humanity.

Now nature is the god but it's still science though.:D
*edit* tidal waves and other disasters aren't pure concidences!

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
The other planets in the solar system have catastrophic natural events and no known population (Jupiter, for example), so I have to say no.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
To be honest it always amuses me when people are shocked by these things. I suppose this is a big event for a single person's lifespan but nature is always destroying species and creating new ones. The nature of life is chaos, we just happen to live in a quiet period.

I live in California and plan on dying under a pile of rubble by the way. :)

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
What tidal wave?

Both terms have been used to describe the catastrophe that struck during the weekend. Are they interchangeable?

Apparently "tidal wave" has been on the wane since 1963, when "tsunami" was adopted for general use by an international scientific conference.

Here are the distinctions, as noted by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the U.S. Geological Survey. First, from NOAA: "tsunami (pronounced 'soo-nah-mee') is a series of waves of extremely long wave length and long period generated in a body of water by an impulsive disturbance that vertically displaces the water. ... Tsunami is a Japanese word represented by two characters: 'tsu' and 'nami.' The character 'tsu' means harbor, and the character 'nami' means wave. In the past, tsunamis were often referred to as 'tidal waves.' The term 'tidal wave' is a misnomer. Tides are the result of gravitational influences of the moon, sun, and planets. Tsunamis are not caused by the tides and are unrelated to the tides; although a tsunami striking a coastal area is influenced by the tide level at the time of impact."

Nevertheless, elsewhere on its Web site NOAA terms a tidal wave "a huge destructive wave," and "an unusually high water level along shore. Refers to a storm surge or Tsunami."

One contributor to NOAA's Web site takes note of tidal wave's customary usage: "The terms 'tsunami' and 'tidal wave' mean the same thing. ... 'Tidal wave' is most often seen in reproductions of old news reports and older text books."

The U.S. Geological Survey also prefers "tsunami," but says they are "sometimes referred to as 'tidal waves' and 'seismic sea waves.' The term 'tidal wave' is a misnomer.

The impact of a tsunami upon a coastline is partially dependent upon the tidal level at the time it strikes, but its generation is unrelated to ocean tides."

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: mobobuff
The other planets in the solar system have catastrophic natural events and no known population (Jupiter, for example), so I have to say no.

What do you think happened to all of the Jupiterinians???!!!

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Babbles

Who do you think lives on neverland ranch?

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Babbles

Hahaha :D

:thumbsup:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
No, since I don't think that nature is have a higher consience. It's just random things happening.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Nope.

Its just us adjusting to the Earth not the other way around. If we can't adjust, we die. Simple as that.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nature is all about balance, but not in the context you're throwing forth.

The Earthquake itself was a balancing act; the pressures inside the Earth were uneven.

The Earthquake would've happened whether the area was inhabited or not.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
Nope.

Its just us adjusting to the Earth not the other way around. If we can't adjust, we die. Simple as that.

I think you bring up something that many people have forgotten. The planet was here for just a little bit longer than us. That's why sometimes it pisses me off to hear the way people talk now, and the way they take things for granted. I'm no activist for anything, but at the same time, if we continue down the path we're going, we're gonna be fvcked in 50 years or so.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
Originally posted by: y2kc

My thoughts exactly.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
I think it's all random... can't make sense of many of the ecological disasters that happen, including the most recent one. :(

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: aplefka
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
Nope.

I think you bring up something that many people have forgotten. The planet was here for just a little bit longer than us. That's why sometimes it pisses me off to hear the way people talk now, and the way they take things for granted. I'm no activist for anything, but at the same time, if we continue down the path we're going, we're gonna be fvcked in 50 years or so.

Life will continue, but maybe not for us humans.

VictorLazlo

Jul 23, 2003
How did that quote go?

Lisa: "Maybe there is no lesson to be learned here."
Homer: "Yea. It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."

That's how I feel: It's all just a bunch of stuff that happens. If nature were really balancing things out, I would have won the lottery by now.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Eli
Nature is all about balance, but not in the context you're throwing forth.

The Earthquake itself was a balancing act; the pressures inside the Earth were uneven.

The Earthquake would've happened whether the area was inhabited or not.

Agreed. This was a geological event, nothing having to do with human interaction. But other things like deforestation, irrigation, daming, etc. certainly have a direct impact on local ecosystems, and nature in those cases does change in response to them.