A theory I made up (I know it could be wack)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
i hung out with friends in high school. then i went to college, and hung out with friends, and graduated, then i got a girlfriend the last week of college, now im married.

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
Umm... if you are a reasonably adjusted smart individual you can balance all of those things. I did well in school, became a doctor but I partied with friend who did drug but decided to stay away from the stuff myself. I definitely know how to have a good time. You are too black and white... there are so many shades of grey.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
you sound like you're afraid to go out on a limb to make friends, so you're trying to justify your anti-social behavior by insisting that your schoolwork would somehow magically go into the crapper if you make a couple friends.

the social behaviors you learn in school are just as important, if not more so, than the facts that are being drilled into your brain.

I'm a pretty smart guy... I dual-majored in college and graduated in 4 years with honors. I can analyze literature like no one's business, could totally spout out the finer points of several sociological theories off the top of my head and I could probably get into any graduate program in the country for english or sociology if I wanted to (the fact that I still can't decide what I want to go to grad school for is the big limiting factor there). but honestly, the interpersonal skills I developed have helped me in my career far more than any of that.

being well liked and maintaining the appearance of a generally nice guy / solid worker is going to go a lot further in terms of negotiating raises or getting promotions in the corporate world. and really, my friendships are far more important and meaningful than anything I'll ever do in the business world will be.

Oct 4, 2004
sometimes I'm in my hellish world (watching tv because of boredom, playing video games and not really enjoying them, attempting to ask women out that I liked for years only to get turned down, etc.).

Your definition of a hellish world sucks.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Oh no, your parents ask you to do stuff? Yikes, how can you hold on! I mean, here they've only spend $150,000 on you in your life, why should they expect you to do anything for them?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
#3...There are stupid people in the world, be thankful you aren't one of them as you party all night and roll into your Comparative Anatomy final 20 mins late. Laugh as you finish first. Laugh again as when grades are posted you blew the curve with a 140% :) Next highest grade 92%.

First thing I have to ask is are you shooting for perfect GPA or something? If so then you probably have to give up all of college to ensure that or take a really light load each semester. Assuming you are in a major that requires one to know things that one can really only get from college/teachers/expensive lab gear.

If you are hedging leveraging that GPA to a perfect grad school...make sure you find out what kind of demographic they really admit. You may be overwhelmed finding out that your peers with equal GPA found time to be pretty active.

If you are thinking a 4.0 will guarantee you a job post-college, you'd be surprized how many don't care about GPA really.

I had a challenging major. Zoology/Chemisty heading to Pharmacy. I was accepted to Pharm college prior to my AA. I partied a ton, got to have a good college experience. My GPA was closer to B than it was to A. However; what I had was A's in almost every core science class. I would fvk up on music appreciation or history here and there. Also almost any class with homework I'd do miserably since I never did it.

I did have to study at times, no one is just born with knowledge of Organic chemistry reactions :)

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Dude go out get drunk, get laid: HAVE FUN! Do it now, before you have to deal with traffic jams, getting to your kid's daycare in time, or meeting that deadline for work. Its the things you don't do that you regret the most.