A tale of 11 broken xbox360s

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Guy went through 11 x360s since launch....

Maybe something he was doing was wrong, but the problems did vary so maybe not.

I do doubt the build quality of the 360 a little though, I have 2 with 1 having had to be RMAd after 3 months. For me thats a falure rate of 50%. Neither of my PS3 have ever had any problem.....then again I dont use them much cause of the games that are out right now.

I still like the 360, but this story is not very encouraging.

LINK TO STORY

EDIT: Can a mod move the the Console forum, I posted in the wrong one. Sorry, Thanks

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
he meant he had two with one of those two having an issue. 1 of 2. 50%

What he didn't mention was "statistical significance"....ie 50,000 out of 100,000 means something. 1 out of 2 means jack sh1t.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
One of my buddies experienced the "red ring of death," Microsoft fixed him up with a replacement. But, he also piled crap on top of the console and around the vents, so I think it was on the self inflicted side.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
30 Percent Failure Rate for the 360 With a 30% failure rate, and considering how many they've sold, you'd expect to find someone with 11 bad ones.

That 30% failure rate is WAY misleading. That counts only the failed units that were returned directly to the RETAILER, not those failed units that were returned and returned and returned and returned and returned and returned and returned and directly to the MANUFACTURER (Microsoft).

If all the retailer returns and all the coffin (manufacturer) returns, the failure rates is over 100%, according to leaked internal Microsoft memos. How is it over 100% you ask? Because a single purchase can results in many many many many many many many repeated returns to the manufacturer refurb centers, with each return resulting in a new failure but with only the one original purchase. Repeated returns are because the design problem is not corrected but the returned system is simply refitted with the same mal-designed parts and fails again once returned to the consumers hands, and is again returned to the refurb center. One leaked internal Microsoft memo mentions a calculated 108% rate, but I still think that is below the actual rate for the entire year of 2006.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
This illustrates the problem with MS's replacement strategy. MS replaces bad units with refurbed units which are probably destined for failure. The only recently started making changes to the inside by adding an extra heatsink.

I've got two 360s and only have had a single failure on the one I got from launch. I think it was borked by the first mandatory patch though and wasn't a hardware failure because it ran fine until then.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I've had one, and lost it in a month to the red rings. Returned it to Walmart. I'll get another eventually.. but probably not for a while.