A system with Geforce GTX 680 and AMD FirePro v5900, possible?

Xoleros

Feb 21, 2011
I'm building a game/workstation in the coming week, and was planning to get a Geforce GTX 680 and add a AMD FirePro v5900 after a while.
It's going to be my first self build computer and everything is really getting mind boggling, so I hope some of you can clarify things!

In addition to my old monitor (22'' Acer x223w, 1680x1050) I want to get a 27'' Catleap 2560x1440 IPS monitor, so I have a 2 monitor setup. If this info helps any

So to the question(hope it is not too stupid)..
Is it even possible to get both GPU's in a system? So that when I game the GTX does the work and when using software(like Autodesk Maya) the FirePro kicks in.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
If you use only the windows drivers, I believe windows 7 allows both cards to run, as for application selection, I'm not sure how to pick, guess it would come down to the program options
Not sure how you would setup outputs though?

Last edited:

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I'm actually pretty sure Windows 7 will allow different types of cards to be used, I recall hearing of several people using an AMD card as primary gaming card and an nVidia card for Physx. This wasn't possible in Vista but is in 7.

And you should be able to hook up both to the same monitor as long as it has enough inputs. Then just select which one you want for the different applications and good to go.

Xoleros

Feb 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies

I was afraid that it wouldn't work, but this gives me some hope!

darckhart

Jul 6, 2004
as long as you can install drivers for both in win7, then yes you can have them both in there. in the early days of trying to get physx onto my ati machine, i personally did it with radeon 5850 and gtx260. you also had to get the nv card to send its signal to a "ghost" monitor.

now whether or not you can pick and choose which app uses which card i have no idea..

jeffreydietrich

Sep 2, 2012
i want ot build the sam machine

what if you have one monitor connected to each gpu?

then switching windows might be a little sketchy but does it wk?

that would force windows to use one over the other no?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the replies I was afraid that it wouldn't work, but this gives me some hope!
It definitely does work, but you can't have both drivers installed at the same time if I'm not mistaken. It's actually a good idea due to some games being sponsored by AMD's Gaming Evolved program while others are sponsored by nvidia. :)
as long as you can install drivers for both in win7, then yes you can have them both in there.
+1.:)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
There is the "feature" where nVidia shuts your nVidia card off if it detects an AMD card being used as the main graphics device. I'm not sure if that will effect you in your situation. If so, I don't think it's too hard to defeat with driver hacks. You might want to check that out though with someone who knows for sure.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I did this before with a geforce and a quadro. I had 2 windows installations and used one for the geforce and the other for the quadro. I had two inputs on the monitor and simply disabled the second video card in each installation as to not cause conflict. Worked this way fine. Not sure about both cards in the same windows installation though.