• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

A Stolen Legacy: California Beachfront Town Grapples with Seizure of Black-Owned Hotel In 1920s

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A more recent version of what racism did to generational wealth of blacks in this country. Not dissimilar to the effects of slavery, generations of wealth was stolen from the Bruce family. The one thing we know about American capitalism if you have money it is easier to make money.

Even today in 2021 the property is still owned by the city of Manhattan Beach. Read the story, and answer the following, what is the proper restitution for this family? Also ask yourself the broader question in light of the wealth gap created by slavery that exists today, does the Bruce family story illustrate why reparations should be studied as a possibility in the US? If financial restitution is granted to the Bruce family it would come from the taxpayers of California. The same taxpayers who could make the argument, "My family had nothing to do with the wealth stolen from the Bruce family so why should I have to pay?"

A Stolen Legacy: California Beachfront Town Grapples with Seizure of Black-Owned Hotel In 1920s (atlantablackstar.com)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I remember reading this article a little while back. I'm not going to say what the "right" amount or form of restitution is, but i 100% agree that it needs to include an admission of wrong. There is power in admitting and acknowledging the damage that was done.

ASK THE COMMUNITY