a specific game-to-GPU (FSX with XFX 7900 GT) problem

vois2

Banned
Jan 5, 2006
I am having a problem (a very specific problem) with Flight Simulator X. I can tell that the problem occurs just as FSX loads and invokes my graphics card, an XFX 7900 GT. The problem only occurs with this one game.

(Note: This is occuring even after a fresh reformat/reinstall of Windows XP with only FSX and drivers on the machine.)

It works like this...
I install FSX and it plays beautifully. That is, until I decide to change any of the options in the game's many visual options. If I change a config option (be it light bloom on/off or even Show Opening Screen on/off) then the NEXT session FSX attempts to load, it is unable to do so. And I do mean it never loads ... ever ... after that. Not even after reboots.

So a typical example would be this: I install FSX ... works great ... and after 10 game lolads I decide to get daring and turn the Opening Screen Off in the selectable options. The game will continue to play great in THIS session. But once I exit out and attempt to load the game again after that ... EVER ... it just won't load and goes to "FSX is Not Responding" mode. No amount of rebooting will ever make it load again.

Now I know this has to do with the config file and the manner in which the game talks to the graphics card alongside of its config file settings. But what could be causing this behavior? Do games sometimes have such a specific problem with a specific MAKE/MANUFACTURER of GPU?

Thanks and details here: ... P4 3.0 630 --- 3.0 GB DDR2-400 --- XFX 7900GT at stock --- 925X board --- 520W OCZ PowerStream PSU