A SORT OF QUANDARY: DVI-to-HDMI 20' cable

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm troubleshooting a second HDHR' installation; the first one is stellar.

The original (successful) PC connected to my AVR/HDTV was done through an HDMI-to-HDMI cable. I also have a DVI-to-HDMI cable of the same length. I should have kept notes: I can't remember whether I had trouble with the latter and chose to get the HDMI-HDMI cable. It COULD BE that I DID have troubles with it, and they're the same ones I have now.

But NVidia Control Panel on a second PC shows the HDTV connection with the DVI-HDMI as HDCP compliant. I've configured WMC for the video signal as "HDMI". It works no differently than as "{DVI, VGA, DisplayPort}. The audio is also configured as HDMI, and no troubles there, either.

I can't even remember the difference between DVI-D and DVI-I, and I'd have to look again as to whether the plug on the cable is "|" or ": | :". All I know is that it fits the port on the graphics card, together with a "primary" video connection to my desktop monitor through a DVI-to-VGA plug.

Before I go order either a second HDMI-HDMI cable or an HDMI switcher, I'd like to know if anyone uses such a DVI-HDMI cable, what sorts of trouble they experienced, whether it worked properly or not. I'm currently troubleshooting failure to show encrypted HD channels through this connection. The other digital and digital-subscription (HBO and MAX) channels are fine. This is only one loose end in dealing with "possible causation" to my trouble; there are other things I can do, but I need to cover all bases.

First thing I'm going to do after posting this: shut down the first system temporarily and try the second one with the HDMI-HDMI cable.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
OK. Here's an answer to my own question, and some questions about configuring WMC (or possibly -- other media center software).

A DVI-to-HDMI cable works for HDCP validation and for Media Center (so far).

But when you configure "Display" in MC, one has to choose the type of output: component, DVI-VGA-DisplayPort, or HDMI.

The video comes through crisp and clear (so far!) whether it's configured as DVI or HDMI.

But for the audio configuration, there are several but only so many choices: mini-plug or 3.5mm analog speakers, RCA or your red-white AV plugs, Toslink or Optical, HDMI. The only viable choice is HDMI.

For the display choice, Media Center states, in its configuration screens, that if you're having trouble deciding which to choose -- look at the back of your computer. If I follow that advice, then I choose "DVI."

But HDMI "works," and it's consistent with the selection for audio.

Which should it be?

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
If everything works fine for both of them I don't think it matters. If audio only works when set to HDMI, then...

Your TV or monitor probably has a 'Info' selection that tells you what kind of signal it's getting. As long as that's 1920x1080@60hz you're good to go.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If everything works fine for both of them I don't think it matters. If audio only works when set to HDMI, then...

Your TV or monitor probably has a 'Info' selection that tells you what kind of signal it's getting. As long as that's 1920x1080@60hz you're good to go.

It apparently communicates with the PC, which senses it as 1080p 60hz.

It looks like the cabling (DVI-to-HDMI) will work for this, and you know my other recent "ordeals."

What I find is that the audio signal to HDMI is weak. The DVI-to-HDMI was pricey when I bought it; I can probably look for an HDMI-to-HDMI replacement, and I think they're less expensive now. But since I haven't completely decided whether to hook it up to the AVR->HDTV or directly to the HDTV (current cabling), I have time to think about it.

We've discussed (32-)uner Salad as a plug-in for WMC. Another one that's very useful is Audio-Renderer-Updater. It had been downloadable from a French website just last year, and thank God -- I'd saved the download, because I'm not sure it's "there" anymore. It allows for switching between multiple PC audio outputs.

Hadn't tried it before, but I THINK I can use the ARU plug-in to switch between a 2.1 desktop speaker system and an AVR 5.1 configuration. Currently it switches between 5.1 (onboard, 3.5mm miniplug) and the AVR 5.1. This would've been a problem or impossible without the ARU plug-in, and something a lot of people complained was a WMC shortcoming.

But I'll have to verify this for myself as to switching 2.1<->5.1. Can't see why not, though.

But not to worry about the video DVI-to-HDMI. It definitely works either way.