A Song of Fire and Ice...on HBO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
I just get this sinking feeling that HBO is going to insist that it's watered down and sanitized before making it on the air.
you have that worry with HBO? the only thing in the story that might not make it is that jaime is cersei's lover/father of her children. and it wouldn't injur the story much to make it someone other than her twin brother.
I also wonder how the viewing public will feel about a series where a major character dies every week. Fans of the books will certainly get it, but I don't think the average TV viewer is going to stick with things if their favorite character croaks in week 4 and their second favorite dies in week 5.
he's only killed off eddard stark (and maybe the briene of tarth). the others were background characters. he didn't even have the good sense to keep catelyn stark dead.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
I just get this sinking feeling that HBO is going to insist that it's watered down and sanitized before making it on the air.
you have that worry with HBO? the only thing in the story that might not make it is that jaime is cersei's lover/father of her children. and it wouldn't injur the story much to make it someone other than her twin brother.
I also wonder how the viewing public will feel about a series where a major character dies every week. Fans of the books will certainly get it, but I don't think the average TV viewer is going to stick with things if their favorite character croaks in week 4 and their second favorite dies in week 5.
he's only killed off eddard stark (and maybe the briene of tarth). the others were background characters. he didn't even have the good sense to keep catelyn stark dead.

************Possible spoiler***************

Rob?

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
Lots of shows now kill off characters. Lost, 24, Deadwood. Its accepted now. I think HBO knows what it signed up for.

Heck, they also are doing Preacher...and thats a lot worse than these in terms of 'inappropriate' content. It makes Jaime and Cersei look normal.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Rob?

was a background character. important, but background.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: GrantMeThePower
[
the thing i don't understand is, he said a year and a half ago that the book was almost done but far too long for 1 volume. so they split it. and now it's been over a year since feast came out and we still don't have any idea when dance will come out.

Do you ever read his 'not a blog' and news?

The reason it hasn't been finished is because he won't write it! He says that he isn't one of those authors that will "write on a plane, or in a hotel, or a coffeshop when i'm traveling" He has also had his home going through a remodel, and simply couldn't write when that was going on. Then it was football season and he couldn't stop watching. The freakin excuses and reasons for not writing go on and on and on.

He will only write when absolutly nothing else in his life is going on, he is at home with quiet and no chores to do, when he's gotten just the right amount of rest and the correct breakfast foods, the temperature is between 68 and 72 degrees and he has nothing to plan for in the next two weeks.

So he writes about two days a year.

Some people need to be inspire or for the creativity to be there to write. Otherwise he can just be like Jordan and churn out book after book with no plot advances.

He's probably a bit bi-polar... lots of artists are. You go through phases of brilliant creativity. Or he probably just doesn't want his creativity to interfere with other parts of his life. When you really get going into a story, you can sometimes even have trouble falling asleep, or doing other things in life because it interferes with it. It's why some writers even retreat to somewhere they can have solace so they can write in peace. I've used the airmiles on my CC to rent hotels for nights to do nothing but write or finish papers before.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Rob?

was a background character. important, but background.

Oooook. If you say so.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I thought Rome was done because all the major turmoil will be over once Augustus ascends the throne? After that, it would pretty much become a first century West Wing.

Yeah, that and I heard that the budget was way too high.