A small warning regarding 100W APUs, stock cooler, small cases and highspeed RAM

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2008
I forgot the extra fans i have as well. 2x 1,2 watt silent fans.

Fans 2,4W.
Idle HDD 5,5W.

That would explain it why my idle power usage at the inlet is a bit higher.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
All combined that might explain it. Factor in that my power meter may also have some tolerance.
A HDD and an older chipset.

Factor in those 5.5W is "behind" the PSU, which is only <10% loaded. It may only be 70-75% efficient at that low load...

I looked it up.
The model HDD that i have is an 5,5 Watt idle model.
I am going to adjust the numbers in the calculation in post 69.
The TDP for the A75 is according to wiki 7,8W.
If i take 7W as the number.

Remember that TDP is only supposed to be indicative of actual power consumption. Its just a guide to how much cooling is required. The A85X is rated at the same 7.8W, despite two extra SATA3 ports.

If the wiki can be believed, I'd say we're looking at 2-4W idle for the southbridge. Load power could well be around 7-8W.

May 11, 2008
Factor in those 5.5W is "behind" the PSU, which is only <10% loaded. It may only be 70-75% efficient at that low load...

Yeah , you are right. I was aware of the efficiency number but assumed 80%.
According to anandtech at 10% load. the psu efficiency would be 77,69%.
I think it is not too bad at all. On the contrary.

Remember that TDP is only supposed to be indicative of actual power consumption. Its just a guide to how much cooling is required. The A85X is rated at the same 7.8W, despite two extra SATA3 ports.

If the wiki can be believed, I'd say we're looking at 2-4W idle for the southbridge. Load power could well be around 7-8W.

Is the A85X not developed on a different process node ?

All in all i think my new system is a mighty fine system and has many advantages over my old system.

Memory bandwidth is at least 8 times higher.
i have 4 cores now instead of 1.
Power consumption is half in idle.
And power consumption at maximum is still lower than my old system.
while this system can run games fluidly that i could not play before because of low fps.
Sometimes even at a higher resolution.