RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
A Single Person Could Swing an Election
Electronic Systems' Weaknesses May Be Countered With Audits, Report Suggests

By Zachary A. Goldfarb
Special to The Washington Post
Wednesday, June 28, 2006; Page A07

To determine what it would take to hack a U.S. election, a team of cybersecurity experts turned to a fictional battleground state called Pennasota and a fictional gubernatorial race between Tom Jefferson and Johnny Adams. It's the year 2007, and the state uses electronic voting machines.

Jefferson was forecast to win the race by about 80,000 votes, or 2.3 percent of the vote. Adams's conspirators thought, "How easily can we manipulate the election results?"
The experts thought about all the ways to do it. And they concluded in a report issued yesterday that it would take only one person, with a sophisticated technical knowledge and timely access to the software that runs the voting machines, to change the outcome.

The report, which was unveiled at a Capitol Hill news conference by New York University's Brennan Center for Justice and billed as the most authoritative to date, tackles some of the most contentious questions about the security of electronic voting.

The report concluded that the three major electronic voting systems in use have significant security and reliability vulnerabilities. But it added that most of these vulnerabilities can be overcome by auditing printed voting records to spot irregularities. And while 26 states require paper records of votes, fewer than half of those require regular audits.

"With electronic voting systems, there are certain attacks that can reach enough voting machines . . . that you could affect the outcome of the statewide election," said Lawrence D. Norden, associate counsel of the Brennan Center.

With billions of dollars of support from the federal government, states have replaced outdated voting machines in recent years with optical scan ballot and touch-screen machines. Activists, including prominent computer scientists, have complained for years that these machines are not secure against tampering. But electronic voting machines are also much easier to use for disabled people and those who do not speak English.

Voting machine vendors have dismissed many of the concerns, saying they are theoretical and do not reflect the real-life experience of running elections, such as how machines are kept in a secure environment.

"It just isn't the piece of equipment," said David Bear, a spokesman for Diebold Election Systems, one of the country's largest vendors. "It's all the elements of an election environment that make for a secure election."

"This report is based on speculation rather than an examination of the record. To date, voting systems have not been successfully attacked in a live election," said Bob Cohen, a spokesman for the Election Technology Council, a voting machine vendors' trade group. "The purported vulnerabilities presented in this study, while interesting in theory, would be extremely difficult to exploit."

At yesterday's news conference, the push for more secure electronic voting machines, which has been popular largely on the left side of the political spectrum since the contested outcome of the 2000 presidential election in Florida, picked up some high-profile support from the other side.

Republican Reps. Tom Cole (Okla.) and Thomas M. Davis III (Va.), chairman of the House Government Reform Committee, joined Rep. Rush D. Holt (D-N.J.) in calling for a law that would set strict requirements for electronic voting machines. Howard Schmidt, former chief of security at Microsoft and President Bush's former cybersecurity adviser, also endorsed the Brennan report.

"It's not a question of 'if,' it's a question of 'when,' " Davis said of an attempt to manipulate election results.

This is the press release, with links to the report and other media.

Text

So, now that the question of if it could happen is settled, and the results, show how easily it can be done, what should we do?

Would it be that hard to move back to a paper ballot? It seems the security issues of electronic ballloting are true, and real. Do you guys think we should scrap the entire electronic balloting program?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
They always say something about the voting machines making a paper trail, a printout for each vote cast. The companies making the voting machines claim that it's too expensive. Pay-at-the-pump machines produce a cheap printout for each tank of gas. Cash registers produce a receipt, in some cases over a foot long, apparently without bankrupting the retailer. This could easily be used on electronic voting machines.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Scary - but honesty what we are allowed to vote for are the same.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Nothing new here, the vote has been hacked since 2000.

Good thing I'm in my bunker 200 ft below the earth's surface with my tinfoil hat and years supply of food.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
so, it looks like nothing's going to be done again about restoring the public's faith in electronic voting machines.

my guess is if the repubs lose big in this year's elections it will be their turn to question the "accuracy" of said machines and "some more things" will be done to those machines to make sure the '08 elections are tallied "correctly" as before.

as an aside, it would be really interesting to see what the dems would do about the suspect voting machines if they do regain control of at least one chamber.

i watched an interview of a panel of oil executives about the rising cost of energy and i watched an interview of voting machine executives defending their views on why a paper trail wasn't necessary. most of them, imho as a manager who hired and fired people for eight years, was lying through their teeth. they exhibited all the traits that a job interviewer would immediately pick up on as typical of liars. hilarious. simply hilarious.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Nothing new here, the vote has been hacked since 2000.

Good thing I'm in my bunker 200 ft below the earth's surface with my tinfoil hat and years supply of food.

Hopefully soon, someone will cut your internet connection.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: tweaker2
so, it looks like nothing's going to be done again about restoring the public's faith in electronic voting machines.

my guess is if the repubs lose big in this year's elections it will be their turn to question the "accuracy" of said machines and "some more things" will be done to those machines to make sure the '08 elections are tallied "correctly" as before.

as an aside, it would be really interesting to see what the dems would do about the suspect voting machines if they do regain control of at least one chamber.

i watched an interview of a panel of oil executives about the rising cost of energy and i watched an interview of voting machine executives defending their views on why a paper trail wasn't necessary. most of them, imho as a manager who hired and fired people for eight years, was lying through their teeth. they exhibited all the traits that a job interviewer would immediately pick up on as typical of liars. hilarious. simply hilarious.

There right a paper reciept would be less then worthless. With a paper reciept it just creates two different records of votes with no way to determine which is correct.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down

There right a paper reciept would be less then worthless. With a paper reciept it just creates two different records of votes with no way to determine which is correct.

Why is there no way to determine which is correct? A printed piece of paper is less likely to to wrong, especially if you look at it when it prints out - if it says Buchanan and you voted for Kerry, well, then you know there's a problem right there.
If they need a recount because someone dropped the voting machine and busted its data storage device, then you've got a piece of paper that can be counted.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I read the topic as, "A single person could sling an erection"

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: smack Down

You really lack the ability to see past an issue don't you?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Being in California, I've used electronic ballot boxes and I love their ease of use. History is covered with voter fraud; electronic voting did not create or stop it.

Would you rather have us use Florida's method? We all know how well that worked in 2000.

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Being in California, I've used electronic ballot boxes and I love their ease of use. History is covered with voter fraud; electronic voting did not create or stop it.

Would you rather have us use Florida's method? We all know how well that worked in 2000.

Personally, the hackability of these boxes concerns me less than the fact that a single company is writing closed-source software for our voting machines. If this was an open-source off-the-shelf deal, which you could repllicate in your kitchen, then I'd be thrilled.