Question a simple PFSense question...

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i just got this mini pc Intel Celeron J4125 with 4 ethernet ports. during installation, it asks me which port is the WAN and LAN, so i assigned it in the way it makes sense to me. i have no idea if igc0 is actually ETH0....

anyway, how do i set up my pfsense machine so that i have 1 WAN and 3 LAN ports? seems i have to assign the 3LAN ports totally different IPs for 3 different networks. would just want to keep it simple for now so any devices plugged into the 3LAN ports will see each other, like a normal Netgear router. how do i do that?

1662666251489.png

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
Those of the shelf routers have a switch behind the LAN ports and the switch is connected to the main CPU.

Your appliance is different and every port is independent. I am not sure if PFSense has any software switch implementation that you can use for this case but even if it has one performance won't ever be as good as with a real hardware switch.

The best option is to use a single LAN port and connect it to a discrete switch and then connect your devices to that switch. A simple and cheap unmanaged switch will do the job!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Although it’s possible, pfsense offers the flexibility to divide up your network.

Personally, I would go with @thigobr suggestion to get you started, as it will be the easiest option to get a single network going will little hardware

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
The best option is to use a single LAN port and connect it to a discrete switch and then connect your devices to that switch. A simple and cheap unmanaged switch will do the job!
yes, i see what you mean. i notice all the youtube vids doing the same thing as well. i was hoping not to use a switch though beause this pfsense machine will be in the living room. i needed something discreet.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
yes, i see what you mean. i notice all the youtube vids doing the same thing as well. i was hoping not to use a switch though beause this pfsense machine will be in the living room. i needed something discreet.
It's easy enough to do. You just need a couple of packages to enable bridging and add some lines to the /etc/network/interfaces file or the equiv.

Code:
auto br0
iface br0 inet manual
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
bridge_ports enp5s0 enp6s0 enp10s0 

iface enp5s0 inet manual
iface enp6s0 inet manual
iface enp10s0 inet manual

This takes the 4 ports and combines them into a bridge port w/ a static IP. I don't know what PF uses for the underlying OS off the top of my head so, it might be slightly different but, it should still work.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

you can run that switch anywhere within Ethernet cable length limits